Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to slightly accurize my 10/22. I don't do alot of shooting, maybe twice a month. Therefore I'm looking for an inexpensive combo.
I have located 2 that I am interested in. Here they are:

1. Hogue Overmolded stock with an 18" 920 Adams and Bennett barrel from midwayusa.com. Price is $119.99 + shipping.

2. Hogue rubber overmolded stock, and 20in Clerke bull barrel from jgsales.com for $99.95 + shipping.

I guess my main question is this:
Is a 20" barrel worth an extra $20? Or is there a difference between the 2 barrel manufacturers? Also, I don't want this gun to look too "stumpy" so the 16" barrel is out. 99% of the time I shoot from a bench, 1% of the time I use it for small game.

Thoughts, anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I can only answer what I would do.If I were going to do a lot of bench shooting or shooting from a rest of some type,I would spring for the extra 20.00 and get the Midway combo.My reason being I like a 20" barrel for bench shooting better than an 18" barrel.But in all honesty....accuracy will most likely be comparable with either barrel.Whichever you buy,I hope you enjoy it.
Mike:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOPS!!

I guess I got a bit mixed up in my above post- The 18" barrel is $20.00 more than the 20" barrel. My mistake, I'm sorry.

So I guess that makes the $99.95 20" Clerke/Hogue Overmold combo a winner, right?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd go with the Adams bbl. DO a search for them. They''re supposed to be made by Green Mountain, a very good gun bbl. Manfacturer. The houge stock is nice. Look around, you can find the Midway combo w/a 20" bbl.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Do a search on both barrels.I think you will find the Clerke owners are happy with theirs also.I own neither brand.But check out both.:t
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I decided to go ahead and order the 18" A&B barrel, Hogue stock combo from Midway. The deciding factor for me was the fact that I've delt with Midway in the past and been very satisfied. From what I've heard and read on this forum and others is that it's a toss up between the 2 packages. Either is as good as the other. So I went with a company I know. I'll post back here when I get and install this combo. Thanks for your ideas and input!

·
Registered
19 Posts
A & B Combo

Bought the same combo in stainless and have been quite pleased with it.

Used a WTC18 Scope, Power Custom hammer and sear and VQ trigger with stop. Forgot bolt buffer also.

No other mods and have not twicked it at all.

It shoots between .50 and .85 @ 50yds if I do my part.

With no more work than this I am quite pleased because I have not tested it with a lot of different ammo..

Go for it.

GNeal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I recieved and installed the barrel and stock from Midway. Fit and finish seem to be good. I don't know anything about "free floating" the barrel, but I plan on researching it. I went down to the rifle range earlier today and put 10 rounds downrange to check function. Everything seems to be a go. I would've sighted the scope in today, but it's awfully cold at the range. 3 degrees! I'll have to wait for a warmer day to sight it in. I'll report back after I sight it in and let you guys know how it's going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.