Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boley,

I have a 572 remington, considering a 552 Remington or a 22 short only, Browning ATD version. I think you've posted comments on both? Which do you prefer, and most importantly, which is more reliable? Any experience with the 22 BAR in 22 LR? (seperate interest of course!)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I don't have any experience with the BAR 22.The Browning ATD short I have is a Japanese one made in 1978.This rifle has seen a good bit of use with no repairs needed.It handles all the ammunition I've tried,including CBs.It is very reliable,I can't recall it jamming,but I can't recall what I had for lunch yesterday either.This rifle has been easy to maintain,I clean the action when it gets gritty,about every 200-300 rounds.My 552 has been in my son-in-law's possession for a few years,so I'm not as up to date on it as I should be to answer your question.It too,very reliable with shorts and long rifles,CB caps would cause occasional failure to feed,bolt wouldn't travel far enough to pick up the next round.I too have a 572,and find the 552 about its equal overall.Sorry about the 552 answer,it's pretty weak.boley

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
A little more answer

I didn't offer my preference,and feel honored that you asked for it.As you know they are very different in design.Some features on each appeal to some people and not others,bla,bla,bla.Both the 552 and ATD are good examples of rifles to have fun with,I think.My pick would be the Browning for just one reason,stock fit,something entirely personal.The Monte Carlo stock on the Remington offered now has too high a comb for me.Impolite people would stare at me,or the person that stock fits.Lucky for me,ten or twelve years ago Numerich had new 552/572 Remington stocks with classic dimensions for about 50 dollars.I bought two,for my 552 and 572.As I see it,you are choosing between two good rifles.boley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.