Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Question? Suppressed or silenced?

329 4
I head a fellow talking the other day about the difference between the two terms. I have never been involved in the quite gun world and am ignorant to the fact that there was a difference. Is there?:eek:

Mikey T
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
YES!!

There is NO such thing as a ompletely SILENT firearm. You will always have the bullet flight noise, which in some cases is nearly inaudible, and you will hear the gasses escaping from the suppressor... which can be described as a low hiss in some cases. In the semi-auto, you have the action noise, which can be close to 100 dB in some cases. Still.... all those combined, things can get very quiet :D :D. "Silent", no! Extremely stifled, suppressed, and held to a minimum, YES :D We're stuck with the term "silencer" and some use it in the description of their products. It's a misnomer in the truest sense of the difinition IMHO!

Just my .04 worth :D

Sincerely,
GAU-2

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
SILENCER
Device attached to the barrel of a weapon and which traps the emergent gas and forces it to pass round a series of baffles, cooling it and thus reducing its volume, so that it emerges at low speed and does not, therefore, make much noise. The silencer also has holes bored in the gun barrel so as to bleed off propellant gas behind the bullet and reduced its speed to below that of sound, so avoiding a sonic crack due to the bullet’s flight.

SUPPRESSOR
Similar to a silencer insofar as it baffles the emergent gas, but does not bleed gas from behind the bullet. Therefore it only silences the muzzle discharge and not the bullet’s sonic wave. If used with subsonic ammunition is effectively a silencer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
True But Worded Suppressor On ATFE Forms

Infact you could have the worst example of a Sound Reduction Device screwed onto the end of your barrel and the ATFE still calls it a Suppressor even if it were to make the report louder.

John:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.