Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a quick question about my 10/22 I was hoping you guys could help me with. I am new to guns in general so please bare with me.

I took the scope off of my 10/22 and found I actually prefer to use the sights better.

now, I took the rail that the scope was mounted on after I discovered it got in the way of the sight. there are 4 holes where the screws went, but I can't put those back in because they mess with the action of the gun being sunk in too low since the rail is no longer there.

my question is. Do I need to plug these 4 holes up before I can use this gun again?

do i need to get 4 replacement screws to close these up?

thanks for your help!

· Registered
112 Posts
You don't have to plug them up to shoot it, but it's best to help keep any unwanted dirt or what not from getting in there. The rifle usually comes from the factory with little headless type screws that go in there and replacement ones can be bought. You could also maybe look at the hardware store for some 6-48 thread sized ones and shorten and/or slot with a dremel if needed.

· Registered
109 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have a quick question about my 10/22 I was hoping you guys could help me with. I am new to guns in general so please bare with me.

I took the scope off of my 10/22 and found I actually prefer to use the sights better.

do i need to get 4 replacement screws to close these up?

thanks for your help!
WD123

Send me a PM with your address and I will send you the plug screws. I have extras that will never be used.

John

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Just a word of caution:
It's VERY easy to strip the holes in the top of a 10/22 receiver.
Be careful and gentle when mounting a scope rail--don't try to screw it down like you would just about anything else.
There are only a few fine threads in a thin piece of aluminum, so we're talking inch/pounds of torque, not foot/pounds.

Even with the little hole-filler setscrews, just get them "finger-tight" using the shaft of your screwdriver before snugging them up a bit more using the handle.
And then run your finger along the inside of the receiver to make sure they don't protrude enough to interfere with the bolt.
A mild threadlocking compound is also recommended so they don't work loose.

· Registered
997 Posts
It is awesome, and there are lots of guys here willing to help and/or give advice. However, one word about the screws on the Ruger receiver (and hundreds of other firearms in different places). You can NOT get them at a local hardware store. Standard USS and SAE fine and coarse thread are 6-40 and 6-32, respectively. 6-48 screws are a special thread that is used only in the firearms industry, as far as I know. You can get them from Midway or Brownell's, and as was mentioned, from Ruger, or from other gun manufacturers. But hardware stores almost never carry anything but standard thread pitch sizes, they don't carry gun screws because of the special thread pitch gun screws use.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is awesome, and there are lots of guys here willing to help and/or give advice. However, one word about the screws on the Ruger receiver (and hundreds of other firearms in different places). You can NOT get them at a local hardware store. Standard USS and SAE fine and coarse thread are 6-40 and 6-32, respectively. 6-48 screws are a special thread that is used only in the firearms industry, as far as I know. You can get them from Midway or Brownell's, and as was mentioned, from Ruger, or from other gun manufacturers. But hardware stores almost never carry anything but standard thread pitch sizes, they don't carry gun screws because of the special thread pitch gun screws use.
that is some good info to know. thank you. I didn't now know that either.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh that's lucky! the scope I had on mine was an el cheapo 4x fixed scope that was 60 bucks at Bass Pro. the rail was just too high and made it difficult to me. I took it off and here was my problem.

on a side note I got the screws in the mail today! thank you jrcoxx for helping me out! I hope to pay this kindness forward to someone on the forum in the future :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.