Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Question re: date of manufacture Glenfields

2225 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Ithacabuff
Perhaps wrongly, I have assumed that Glenfield rifles had the year of manufacture integrated into the SN like the Marlin brand. However, I am now wondering. I bought a Glenfield Model 25 today with a SN of 27500XXX. Going by the code I subtract 27 from 2000 and get 1973. However, Brophy says in his book that the Glenfield 25 was manufactured 1979-1982 (and then became the Marlin 25 in 1983). So, who knows the answer to this and will you be so kind as to let us all know. Thank you in advance. (Yes, I checked the sticky on dating but it does not clearly say Glenfields, only refers to Marlins.)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
I have an old Model 25 that I bought when I was a teenager. It has a SN of 71XXXXXX. I was told elsewhere on this forum that between 1968 and 1973 the first two digits were the year of manufacture, and 1971 sounds like a likely year I would have bought it. Then (sounds like in 73 sometime) they switched to subtracting the first two digits from 100. So it sounds like yours is definitely from 1973. They were definitely made prior to 1979.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, certainly books

can be mistaken because of many reasons...like the author made a typo his manuscript or he had information that was already a mistake or the type-setter made a mistake...after all the difference in say 1979 and 1971 is merely one digit. So, I appreciate the feedback from anyone like previous wm36 who can verify that Brophy Book statement is wrong. Thanks.

· Registered
5,372 Posts
Glenfield 25 from 1969-1982...
then became the 25N from then on...straight mags & different action instead of curved mags and all that...
there are a few discrepancies in the books...Later Editions I think have most of the corrections.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree it is

confusing. Let me ask...was the Model 20 a Marlin brand firearm? I am guessing that no Glenfield brands are listed in the catalog or perhaps just the Model 60. It was a marketing thing with Marlin. You know...I checked the gun digests for all of those years and the Model 20 was listed but never the Model 25 as a Glenfield until about the year it became a Marlin....like in 1983.

· Registered
313 Posts
confusing. Let me ask...was the Model 20 a Marlin brand firearm? I am guessing that no Glenfield brands are listed in the catalog or perhaps just the Model 60. It was a marketing thing with Marlin. You know...I checked the gun digests for all of those years and the Model 20 was listed but never the Model 25 as a Glenfield until about the year it became a Marlin....like in 1983.
the problem hear is there was a marlin 25 pump and a model 25 bolt the first post was on a bolt you have a pump two different rifles same model no#

· Registered
156 Posts
There definitely was a Glenfield model 20 bolt action repeater in the 1970's. It looked just like the 25 only had a groundhog carving on the pistolgrip. I think it was discontinued around 1980 but don't know for sure.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to Brophy

the Glenfield Model 20 bolt-action rifle was a "clip magazine" fed rifle made from 1966-1981. The photo of the Model 20 in the Brophy Book shows it as having the typical pressed design with the squirrel on the wrist of the stock. The book also states that, "The Model 20 was the the same as the Model 80G. Only the model number was different."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.