Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I wasn't able to find a barrel for my 552A, I am thinking of putting a 552 Gallery Special, shorts only barrel on the rifle. I have two 552's. One is the carbine model that is in real good condition and this one that needs a barrel.

Any ideas on this change? Thanks for input.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not certain, but...........

My guess is that the gallery special, "shorts only" barrel has a "shorts only" chamber, and a different rate of twist in the rifling. So if you plan on shooting shorts ONLY, it MIGHT work, but don't know for sure. If you plan on shooting anything OTHER THAN shorts, it could create a lot of problems. Just my thoughts. Frankly, the Gallery Special model 552's and nylon 66's are worth a LOT MORE money on the used market if in good condition. A lot of guys would love to have one in mint condition. Good luck!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for input Colorado: I figure they're the same and think that the barrel would fit but not 100%. In looking in gun books all of them say the rifles are the same. This rifle is in pretty good shape other than what feels like a bulge in the barrel.......

·
Registered
108 Posts
newmoss, do you have a source for the gallery special short barrels ? Or do you have one lying around? I've been thinking about picking up a 552 (LR) but think for some reason i need a short chambered gun, so...if you've got a source could you share it with me. Yes I know I could re-line the barrel, rather not. am interested in what you find out on the above query, thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a Gallery Special barrel I bought from Numrich a few years ago. I was going to try it on my 572, but I never got around to it. I'll sell it for $32.00 and ship for free within the US. That's probably $10-15 less than Numrich when you factor shippng. PM me if anyone's interested.

As it came from Numrich, it is used. It's probably from an ADL version of the rifle because it has front and rear sight dovetails and my BDL has screw holes for sights. The finish is about 75 % with some scratches and wear to the bluing.

It is stamped Gallery Special, but interestingly, it will chamber LR rounds just fine, so if you're looking for a short chamber, you probably won't find it on the barrels Numerich is selling. The chamber does not appear to have been re-cut or modified.

If anyone's interested, drop me a PM. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is stamped Gallery Special, but interestingly, it will chamber LR rounds just fine, so if you're looking for a short chamber, you probably won't find it on the barrels Numerich is selling. The chamber does not appear to have been re-cut or modified.

Scottro,
Thanks for the heads up, a short chamber is the only reason I would've picked up one of these barrels! Jerry

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you really want to optimize for shorts, and are willing to spend a little $$, I'd suggest getting a spare barrel and having a gunsmith put in a liner with a shortened match chamber that would engrave the short bullet. With shorts, the twist rate doesn't seem to matter as much as the tightness of the chamber/barrel. --- at least in my experience.

On my Ruger 77/22, I've tried .22 short barrels from both Green Mt. and Volquartsen. They both shot ok (3/4"--1 1/4" at 25 yds), but are nowhere near as accurate as a Shilen barrel I've got that has a super tight ultra-match chamber. The Shilen barrel will shoot 1/4" groups all day with S&B target shorts. Groups blow up to 3/8--3/4" with CCI Target shorts.

Then again, it could all be a fluke--Ya never know. This particular Shilen barrel is so tight it's a bit of a struggle to chamber a LR round, and there's no way you'll extract an LR round that's unfired.

CZ bolt actions have pretty tight chambers, and I've found that they shoot very accurately with CCI Target Shorts too. 3/8"--1/2" at 25 yds.

There are a lot of guys on the forum claiming phenominal accuracy with shorts and CBs and Colibris from the Henry Lever gun. I don't have access to a Henry to verify, but it seems unlikely they have match chambers, so I guess you never know.

It would be very cool to have a 552 or 572 pump that was super accurate with shorts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.