Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a book at Paladinpress.com, and this stuck me odd...read the first line, i thought all silencers, without going through all that paperwork and waiting...were illegel here in the states...can someone enlighten me on this? can you make your own under some kinna law or somesuch legally?

HOW TO MAKE A SILENCER FOR A .22
This handy little manual teaches you everything you need to know to legally manufacture a silencer for any .22 - without a lathe or welder. These inexpensive homemade silencers give you all the suppression you need, thread on solidly, do not affect your accuracy or the gun's functioning and last for hundreds of rounds. For academic study only. 5 1/2 x 8 1/2, softcover, illus., 64 pp.
This handy little manual teaches you everything you need to know to legally manufacture a silencer for any .22

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Not trying to be a smarta$$ but I've heard of people that don't pay taxes either and some of them are in jail.

Before you decide to make or otherwise find yourself in posession of a silencer you should contact the local or state law enforcement agency and find out for sure the legality of it.

Perhaps BigMike will drop by, he seems to have a reference for most things related to BATFE legalities.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth it to risk a federal crime for a quiet .22.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Bull Crap.....! !

corpis66,

Suppressors are a regulated device under the NFA [National Firearms Act of 1934 (a Federal Law)]...! ! :eek:

Suppressors require prior approval by the BATF before you may purchase them...! ! :eek:

Suppressors require a $200. Tax Stamp...! ! :eek:

Yes, you can manufacture a suppressor, IF you have a Class III Manufacturer's License...! ! :eek:

Supprerssors are ILLEGAL in some States...! ! :eek:

Possession will cost you a $10,000. fine and 10 years in Club Fed...! ! :eek:

·
Banned
199 Posts
You do not have to have a Class III license to make a suppressor. You just have to meet the same requirements to own one and submit the correct paperwork and tax. I would advise against this unless you have a very through knowledge of suppressor theory and design, because you could simply end up with a $200 paper weight. Save up the cash and buy one that has a proven track record.

Later,
Solophenix

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Solophenix said:
You do not have to have a Class III license to make a suppressor. You just have to meet the same requirements to own one and submit the correct paperwork and tax. I would advise against this unless you have a very through knowledge of suppressor theory and design, because you could simply end up with a $200 paper weight. Save up the cash and buy one that has a proven track record.

Later,
Solophenix
Sage words Solo, but not 100% accurate. Once the suppressor is tax paid and the serial number is affixed, it is only the outer tube that is the registered device, similar to a firearms receiver. So you would be free to "improve" upon the baffle design, composition, and spacing as you would want. But in todays world you can buy one that would be better made for less than you could realisticly make one of equal quality...and both still have the $200 downpayment, which makes any difference in cost just that much less relevant.

Vibe

·
Registered
590 Posts
BE WARNED!

"IF" you file a "Form 1" with ATF and pay your $200 tax, and are approved to manufacture your own "silencer" or suppressor, DO NOT! I REPEAT........ DO NOT! have two sets of baffles for your suppressor! If you are building another set, take the current one's out and DESTROY them.. I.E. smash and melt them... BEFORE you start on the other set just to be safe! BATFE considers "suppressor parts, or parts specifically intended for use in suppressors" to be suppressors in and of THEMSELVES!

Hope this helps! :D BTW, keep us up to date :D, just don't post how-to's, per the forum rules :D

Sincerely,
GAU-2

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanks GAU-2

This is just another reason to get "opinions" of the local BATF in writing. I'd been told around here that it was just the outer tube that was watched. Just another example of the enforcers not really understanding the regulations and ad-libbing as they go. I hate selective enforcement of any laws, and particularly unconstitutional tax laws. After all, as was proven by the 24th amendment, taxes ARE a form of infringement.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All of these people who are supposedly in jail must be real idiots for bragging to everyone and their mother. The point of a suppressor is so no one hears it, not so everyone on your block knows you have one. Unless you're out there flaunting it off, the BATF is none the wiser as they should be for all "illegal" matters.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes yes, everyone is welcome to match wits against the BATF and try to hide stuff from them. The upside is a suppressor that you can't really use and the downside is Federal prison for a while. Regardless, everyone is free to make their own choices.

As for the original question (I think): There is nothing wrong nor illegal in the US with distributing the instructions for constructing a suppressor. It is the actual act of doing it that is illegal.

I would give you links to Wal-Mart and Amazon online sites where they both offer similar books for sale, but this worthless vB code can't seem to parse them into functional links, so the world will have to do without. I often wonder why HTML is still around if every bulletin board software programmer on earth thinks he can do better by reworking it into something just slighty different enough to warrant a flowery new name.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
vB code

I think the reason for vB code is to allow for HTML-like formatting and linking w/o allowing arbitrary, and potentially malicious, HTML code. The only codes I use are for linking sites, images, and bold/italic type. So far every board I've used has the same codes for that, and except for one that won't do nested quotes they work fine.

PS: If you use the "url" and "/url" codes you should be able to put in any link and make it hot, even if they aren't automatically recognized by the board's parser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.