Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into one at my local gunshop. It's got a great big barrel and it's a single shot .22LR. It's got a big oversized walnut stock, with a metal insert of some sort on the forearm, what's that for? Overall it's in great shape, IMO. Are these known to be accurate rifles? I know they haven't been made in a long time..

The action seems well made, and solid, and is very very smooth. It's got some sort of target sights, but I didn't see them, they've got the sights out back. I'm asking about this rifle, because I've always wanted a good target rifle with aperature sights, but never wanted to spend a lot of money. They want $379 for it. Depending on bore condition (haven't looked yet) Is this something I should grab soon as I can? I won't be competing or anything with it (at least not yet) but I'll do lots of 50-100 yard target shooting off the bench.

Thanks for any and all opinions!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Current Blue Book on a Model 37, 5-shot repeater with single shot adaptor, 28-inch barrel, target sight and scope bases:

100% = $800
95% = $600
80% = $475

They were made from 1937 to 1954. The ones made after 1940 had an improved trigger and stock design that I can't desribe to you because I'm not all that familiar with them.

The gunsmith who owns the club I belong to uses a modified 37 in IR50/50.

John

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments, fella's. :)

I called today and talked to the manager about the rifle. He said it's there on consignment.. It was originally listed at $499 but I guess the owner needs the money or something, as it's now $379, but won't go any lower, 'cause of course I had to ask. ;)

I didn't put any money on it yet, but asked him to hold it for me in the back room 'till I can take a closer look. He said the target sights themselves are worth $300.. :eek: Any idea what kind they may be? I haven't seen them yet..

Should I be concerned about bore condition? As long as it's not got any rust or pitting it should be alright, huh?

Thanks again for the comments, and keep 'em coming! :D

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Okay, looking at an old Gun Trader's Guide...

Model 37 (I)

"Remington front and rear sights, scope bases. Target stock (w/barrel band on forend) with sling swivels. This stock is similar in appearance to the old-style Winchester 52. Barrel band eliminated in 1938."

Looking at the picture, the front sight is on a small ramp and has a small hood sort of like you'd see on a Marlin 39A lever .22 or any other modern rifle. The rear sight is up on the end of the receiver and does not appear to hang over the back of the bolt. It's hard to tell from these black&whites how many knobs are on it.

Model 37 - II. (Model of 1940)

"Same as Model of 1937, except has "Miracle" trigger mechanism and Randle design stock with high comb. full pistol grip and wide beavertail forend."

Looking at the picture it appears to have sling swivels, but it's hard to really tell. The sights are different - much bigger. The front sight looks like it's 4 or 5 inches long with a flare on the back of the tube. Looks like a little scope. The rear sight appears to attach to the top of the receiver (where the Model I sight sits) but hangs completely out behind the bolt.

So, looks like the II version with the Miracle trigger has a wide forend, no barrel band and big sights.

My advice is take the bolt out and look through it at a bright light. See if it shines. Even if it's dirty it could clean up. Even if it doesn't clean up it could still be a good shooter.

Check to see if it has been drilled for scope mounts. Otherwise you'll have to use the scope blocks on the gun. I have heard of somebody making an adapter to allow the use of regular scope rings, but don't have any details. If using a scope doesn't matter don't worry about it. Or, you can sink a bunch of bucks into an old scope with external adjustments to fit the blocks on the gun.

I would have guessed the sights were worth $200 or $250, but it would have been a guess.

If it isn't a complete dog of a gun that's been used for a boat paddle then I can't see how you can lose on the deal.

John

P.S. - Here's one on www.gunsamerica.com in 90% condition. Unaltered EXCEPT for some stock carving...I love it :)

$650.00 This is an all original mod 37 in 90% plus condition. The gun is unaltered except for a slight thumb rest grooved into the wrist of the stock. The bore and mechanics are excellent. This is a great shooter and collectors item. Price includes shipping. To FFL holders only
Seller: THE VALLEY GUN SHOP

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought it today. It's in better shape than I had hoped. Didn't get a real close look at it until today. The stock is in good shape considering it's age, with a few scratches and dings, and is a good looking piece, too. The barrel looks good.. The sights, I love the sights! The rear has elevation marks out to 300 yards.. Who shoots a .22 out that far! Is it calibrated for 40gr solid standard velocity? I've got some Win. T-22, it should work good enough for informal plinking. I hope to shoot it tomorrow. It's a very well made and good looking rifle.

It is missing a loading block though.. I hear that there were two kinds for this rifle.. a *clip* if you will. One was single shot, basically a platform to set the bullet on, and the other was a 5-shot internal clip? Where could I find one of these? I was told it's part of the reason why the rifle was at such a good price. Oh well, I can tolerate hand feeding the rounds into the chamber! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Champions Choice.. I'm not familiar with this outfit. Can I get a web addy or phone number? Thanks!

No scope for me! I bought this sucker strictly for the great sights that are on it. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've got a 37

which was my uncle's. I used it to shoot NRA smallbore about 40 years ago. Mine has Lyman sights - a globe front with inserts and a slick aperture-type adjustable rear. The metal rail you asked about is either to adjust the position of the front of the sling or for the palm rest that we used to use in the offhand position. Mine has both. I also have a JC Fecker scope for it that fits on the blocks. The scope relies upon a spring to keep it in battery. Mine has a 5 shot mag and a single shot adapter. It haven't shot it in 30 years but mine was always very accurate. I've always wondered what it might be worth. Interesting thread.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not off to a great start with this rifle.. Of course I had to take it to the range on a day where the **** wind comes up every 5 minutes at about 30mph, and the temperature is hovering over zero F*... :)

Anyhow, with the rear sight cranked all the way down, with two kinds of ammo (cheap crappy Win *Xpert* and what I like - Win T-22 standard vel.) they shot TWO FEET high at 50 yards... It was then that I finally realized that the front sight isn't nearly as high as the rear, and so the barrel points right over top of the target... now I know next to nothing about these sights, so don't know what I *should* have.. but it's obvious the front can't be the right one... Is there a new base I can install on the barrel to replace the original, to make the front sight sit higher, or what?

·
Registered
887 Posts
rem 37

Hi Jus:

Congrats in the 37 , great gun at a great price :t
I have two, One I shoot a lot. another only occasionly
(its near new )

as for the sights, if you will send me your email address
I will send you some scans of the sights it should have.

later... David ([email protected])

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After seeing pics of David's rifle, I've found that my peep sight is switched from it's original condition, it was ON TOP of the windage rail instead of underneath(correct position), which would account for why it was shooting 2ft high. Problem here is the comb is far too high to use the sight as it's designed to be used.. I'd like to know just what the heck the original owner was thinking when he set this rifle up!.. :confused:
Should I have the comb trimmed down? It's not a factory stock, I don't think. No way does it work with the sights anyhow..

-Justin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rem 37 sights

Jus,
Don't be to quick to judge by Davids pic's.
The early 37's came with Remington Rear sights, which had the aperture on the bottom of the windage slide. However, later 37's came with Redfield Olympic front and rears and on the Olympic rear the aperture was on the top of the windage slide. You may well have the correct sights. Check the name imprinted on the sights themselves. It may help in your decision.

I don't that there is a "wrong" or "right" set of sights unless you are a collector and need factory original. Most target rifles sold since the early 60's either were sold without sights, or they were an option. Generally, serious shooters equipped their rifles, even the 37's, with the type of sights that worked best for them in whatever disipline they were shooting, and mixing made perfectly good sense. Eventually these get sold, if in combination, some may think mismatch, but not necessarly.
BJ

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My rear sight is a Remington. It's got no markings except some numbers. One of which is a Patent number, which happens to be a perfect match for one of the patents right on the barrel, so I'd say it's the correct sight. :)

The front is a Redfield globe sight. After taking rear sight apart and putting the peep back underneath, I'm about 99% sure they'll work perfectly. (A gunsmith friend and I talked about it and they should line up nicely now) But like I said the comb on the stock is awfully high and makes it difficult to use the sights.. that's the part I can't understand.. Oh well.. I'll probably trim the stock down a little.. I never intend to sell it so to me it'll only increase it's value, as I'll be able to enjoy it more. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.