Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1890 actually it says mod.90 on the barrel its a nice old gun about 80% good and tight all original nice bright bore just the usual wear for a gun this old but no cracks or bad rust.When i got the gun i didn't try it out for about a month so three day inspection period had lapsed wheni did i discovered that it wouldn't feed.My gunsmithing skills leave a lot to be desired so i took it to a friend who is very good ,he called me and told me it had been rebored to shoot .22mags. but that he could redo it by doing something to the carrier i told him to go ahead and fix it which he did.He only charged me for the parts.The gun now works just fine with WRF as i sais earlier i know very little about gunsmithung,i would like to hear any comments about this or has anyone heard or had an experience like this or am i safe in shooting WRFs in this gun. Thanks in advance for any help (gn luver)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Huh?

Hi gn luver,

If the caliber stamping on the barrel is .22 WRF, then I would think that it is indeed safe to shoot .22 WRF in it. If the gun has been rechambered for .22 Magnum and the carrier modified, the WRF, being the same case size, but only shorter than the Magnum, will chamber just fine. I am wondering if your gunsmith friend put an original .22 WRF carrier back in the gun. Beyond that, I'm tapped out.

Hossfeathers

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hossfeathers,Thanks for the reply no my friend was able to modify the carrier somehow to make it work. Yes the gun is stamped WRF on the bottom front of the receiver,the serial no. is 803xxx so it must be one of the last ones made however one of the sites that gives year of mnf. only goes to 775xxx so i don't know what this means.Thanks again Hoss (gn luver) P.S. Aren't these old winchesters fun and great shooters!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.