Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got home from my trip across the pond and after owning a 64 MPR for a month I got to see it. My wife graciously picked it up and put it in my gun vault for me so that's where I went first (okay....second) after getting home. I cleaned all the excess oil/lube off, pulled patches through the bore until clean, and mounted a V-16. During all this I came up with some questions I hope you kind folks can help me with. The small book that came with it doesn't give me the information...or at least I haven't been able to find it there.

1. My actions screws are slotted, not allen head. I have a large, oddly shaped, allen wrench I thought would be for the action screws, but with slotted heads that doesn't fly. Should the screws be allen head or is this wrench for something else?

2. The trigger has a lot of overtravel but the booklet doesn't tell me how to adjust it out. Can't this be done?

3. The bolt release doesn't work unless you also pull the trigger. Took me a few failed attempts to figure this out as it's not mentioned in the booklet. Is this proper or is something amiss?

I'm anxious to get out and shoot it, but it's raining now and will be for the next two days...:( I'm hoping to go out on Sunday if the weather permits...heck I'll go even if it's sprinkling...just have to shoot it!!!;)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
chundoo,

Glad you are back safely from your adventures.

I also have a 64 MPR. My action screws are slotted. I also have the "allen wrench" and wondered what it was for. I also have to pull the trigger at the same time as the bolt release lever to get the bolt out (at page 10, top of 2nd column in my booklet). So, I guess all this is normal .... at least for our two guns. I'm curious on the responses you will get to your questions too.

.... Retiree

·
Registered
233 Posts
For what it's worth, I used the odd shaped wrench for adjusting the buttplate up and down on my 1517 MPR. I think it has the 64 action...
My trigger is adjustable with 2 screws, for weight of pull and for length of the second stage, but not for overtravel (overtravel not a problem on my rifle).
I adjusted my trigger with those 2 screws by trial and error, because I also thought the owners manual did a poor job of explaining things.
Good Luck,

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Retiree,

Interesting...I am curious to know about the tool if it's not for the action screws. I sent an email to Anschutz to see if they can answer any of my questions. Since your's is the same as mine I'm guessing most if not all will be. I'll share their response here.

I have a pretty large number of different brands ammo to test...Eley, RWS amoung them. Haven't found a local source for other premium ammo yet. What have you found to be the best in your rifle? I would like to stick with something that doesn't cost over $10/box, hope that I can find one or two that give good results at $5-6/box. Since I'm not shooting in registered formal competition I have a hard time justifying some of the higher priced ammo.

Chundoo

·
Registered
204 Posts
Chundoo, Here are the results of ammo testing in my 64 MPR which is totally stock - no mods and no tuner; all shot from a rest. Max spreads are group size in 16th of an inch, center to center. Note the number of shots per group and the distance varies. As you can see, a lot of different types of ammos shoot well. I'd say for the money, my gun prefers Wolf Match Extra. Note the info is given in this order: ammo, max spread in 16ths, group shape, who (lrf is me), yards, number of shots per group. This did not format very well on this posting, so if you can't decipher, send me your email address in a PM and I'll forward the data to you. Biggest variable that accounts for some of the difference between the same ammo is wind - and my inability to read it correctly!!!!

.... Retiree

Ammo, Max Sprd 16ths, Group Shape (R,V,H), Who, Yards, Shots
Wolf Match Target 2 R LRF 25 5
Wolf Match Target 3 R LRF 25 5
Winchester T22 3 R LRF 25 5
Remington Target 6122 3 R LRF 25 5
Winchester Xpert 3 R LRF 25 5
Remington Target 6122 4 R LRF 25 5
Winchester Xpert 4 R LRF 25 5
Wolf Match Extra 5 R LRF 25 5
Remington Target 6122 5 R LRF 25 5
CCI Greentag 3 R LRF 50 5
Wolf Match Extra 4 R LRF 50 5
Lapua Master L 5 V LRF 50 5
Wolf Match Extra 5 R LRF 50 5
Remington Target 6122 5 R LRF 50 5
Winchester T22 6 R LRF 50 5
Wolf Match Extra 6 R LRF 50 5
Remington Target 6122 6 R LRF 50 5
Remington Target 6122 6 R LRF 50 5
Wolf Match Extra 13 R LRF 100 5
Wolf Match Extra 17 R LRF 100 5
Wolf Match Extra 18 R LRF 100 5
Wolf Match Extra 20 R LRF 100 5
Lapua Midas M 21 R LRF 100 10
Lapua Master L 21 R LRF 100 10
Eley Ultimate EPS 10X 21 R LRF 100 10
CCI Greentag 23 H LRF 100 10
Lapua Signum 24 R LRF 100 10
Wolf Match Target 24 R LRF 100 10

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...that's quite an impressive array of data. How long have you had the rifle? :p

Unfortunately, I have not kept as thorough a set of records on my 10-22...I just know what brand it likes better than others. I had decided to set up some records in my reloading journal for reference with all the factors you have recorded plus the lot number and temp. Haven't started yet though. I see you have mulitples at the same distance with the same ammo, is that different lots or just verification groups? It looks like it's a shooter with most anything. I really appreciate the information as it gives me an better idea where to start. I'll share with you anything I uncover that may be illuminating or substantially different.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Chundoo, here are answers to your questions.

<snip>
How long have you had the rifle?

Got it about the first of December 2002 (an early Christmas present). Started shooting it seriously in March when the weather decided to cooperate.

<snip>
I see you have mulitples at the same distance with the same ammo, is that different lots or just verification groups?

Pretty much all the same lot for each type of ammo with the exception of the Wolf MT and Wolf ME (2 lots each) but they shoot about the same. Most of the variance is me.

<snip>
I'll share with you anything I uncover that may be illuminating or substantially different.

I'd appreciate that a bunch.

.... Retiree

·
Registered
171 Posts
The allen wrench is for adjusting the buttpad. I've got a 64 MPR also, that I bought a little over a month ago now. Like Retiree's, mine will shoot most anything into amazingly small groups, but you have to pay attention to the windflags. Without them, it's a crapshoot, as you have no way of knowing if it was the ammo, the wind, or you.

Somewhere here, down the pages, on the 22 rimfire ammo forum is a picture I posted of two groups shot with the old Lapua Multi Match ammunition.

Federal Gold Medal Ultra does good in mine too, but they stopped making it, so no sense going too far down that road. For the money, it's very tough to beat Wolf, when you can find it. I haven't tried any of the Extra yet but the regular Match Target does very well in mine, at least as well as the Federla GM Ultra. At less than 2 bucks a box, you can't go wrong. http://MidwayUsa.com has some coming in but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back, now it says 8/10/03. Price is about $189 a case of 5000 rounds. They sell it by the brick too. I've got 3 cases on order with them.

You will shortly discover that there are very few rifles, especially factory) that are able to outshoot your little 64 MPR.

Good luck with yours and please keep us posted.

Anschutz, Anschutz, Anschutz. :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I overlooked the screw in the adjustable butt pad. That allen wrence certainly seems to be overkill if that screw is all it's for. I'm still wondering about the overtravel. As nice a trigger as Anschutz makes I can't understand them not providing for an overtravel stop adjustment...or maybe most people aren't concerned with it as much as myself.

Thanks for the help here guys.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Allen Wrench

I believe the weird shaped allen wrench is really intended for the action screws. My 1903 action screws are allen and it fits. If you take a real good look at the wrench the two bends that look kinda like finger relief have numeric values stamped on them. I suspect you are intended to hang weights from that point on the wrench to achieve the correct and repeatable torque.

How that for a guess?

Barry

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Barry,

That makes good sense...a lot more so than an allen wrench with finger grooves. If you have allen head action screws in your 1903, I'm curious why the 64 MPR isn't so equipped. Perhaps Anschutz customer service will respond to my email this week and shed some light on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Barry,
You are sorta right about the "hanging weights". As I understand it, you use the weight of the rifle for torque consistency. The procedure is to stand the rifle on it's butt, tighten the action screw just snug, then, with the wrench at a 90 degree angle to the gun, tighten more, attempting to lift the gun. When the wrench lifts the gun off the table instead of turning (tightening), the torque is set. there are 2 finger grooves, one close for less torque & one farther out for more.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my reply from Anschutz and thought I'd share it here...

It is right that you have to pull the trigger as well to release the bolt.
Also the action screws are slotted. The allen wrench goes with every ANSCHUTZ rifle. For some types it is the key for the action screws, for the cheek piece and butt plate adjustment. In your case it is only for the rubber butt plate adjustment. The right torque for the action screws at wooden ANSCHUTZ stocks is 5 Nm or 44 inch lbs.
The trigger of the 64 MPR unfortunately has no trigger stop or adjustment for overtravel. If you like to shorten the sear engagement, please turn the screw No 1 (there is a small hole at the right side of the stock) a little counter clockwise.

I hope this information helps you.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to email me.

Best regards

Franz Frank

Sport-Service

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.