Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a picture of a "M 26 B" Mossberg single shot 22cal. rifle? One is coming up at a local auction, but I am not sure if it has the right stock. The rifle at auction has a two piece stock with a blue steel connector, to hold the front piece on, simular to the modle 51 and 151. Does this sound correct? Bob.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
No, I have one in original condition from 1939. It was my father-in-laws and he bought it new so I know it is right. Here are two pictures which aren't that great. The front sight hood is not original as that had been lost.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It may be legit. The "M" stands for "mannlicher", or full length, stock. On my M51 the "M" is stamped before the model number.

I'm not sure if the 26B action would fit in either a 151M or 46M stock. I don't have a 26B to compare. If the stock is for a 46, the fore piece should have the hole in front for the mag tube and the loading slot on the bottom. A 51 stock would have the teardrop shaped loading slot in the right side of the butt. Neither loading slot would be necessary as the 26B is a single shot.

Look it over closely. If the stock appears to be original to the action and the barrel is actually stamped "M26B", then I would buy it.

Is there any way they would let you inspect it and take a few pics to post here before the auction?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Guess what. I looked in the Blue Book and they do list a mannlicher stocked 26B. It's known as a 26M or B26M and it was only made in 1938. It is a rare bird for sure and worth $350 for a 100% down to $100 for a 60%. Grab it and post some pics. Nice find.

Hey, you learn something everyday.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked it over pretty good. The rifle is marked "M 26 B". The stock has no provision for a tube mag. or a loading port in the stock. The metal is about 70% orig blue, rear peep gone, back barrel sight orig., front post sight looks like it is from an 44US. No sling swivels. I will probably go the $100 route, in my bidding. Good info. Thanks. Bob.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shooting the B 26 M .

I fired about 10 shots, to bring the rifle to zero. I had one failure to eject. I will have to clean the insides of the bolt, to fix that problem. I still would like to see an original picture of this model, so I know if it is right. Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.