Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. If I purchase high capacity magazines for a 10/22 (like the 25 round butler creek or 50 round drum) in a European country where they are legal, can I bring them into the states legally?

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
some state allow pre ban mags...the problem is that in europe they are more than likely new mags which are illegal except for police/ miltary use.

Check you local laws on preban mags...it they say its ok then get a preban mag (may be worn out etc is the problem)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Actually, that is not correct

njkimberss said:
nope...its possetion that illegal...
It is not illegal to buy, sell or posess a high capaicty magazine unless your state\locality has some specific law against it. I beleive the PBK does have some specific laws? but there are no federal ones that I am aware of.

The key is, the magazine in question had to be made before the ban (Sept. 94). I remember a stink about police depts selling high cap mags in 95 and 96 that were made before 94. Seems they only keep them so long and then they get rid of them and buy new ones. (Shows how much cops are worried about us citizens having hi cap mags)

The tricky part is, how do you prove it was made before the ban? Most clips don't have a date on them that I've noticed. In reality, has anybody ever seen, read about or heard anything about anybody being arrested for hi capicity mags? Not saying importing post ban (i.e. illegal) clips is a good idea but I do know there is nothing wrong with pre ban units.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You would be actually importing them into the states and that would be a great big no no!

If you were caught you would be in violation of several federal laws and may end up the poster boy for the ATFE!

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Federal Law [ AWB of 9/14/94 ]

Gentlemen,

There is a Federal Law [AWB] which prohibits the manufacture, import, distribution, and sale of "Hi Caps" [over 10 round capacity] magazines to the general population [us, civilians]. However, those already in general circulation are "grandfathered" [still Legal]. "Hi Caps" are still being manufactured for LEO, Military, and Export; these magazines must be plainly 'marked' that they are Post Ban by permanently marking the body with a Date [9/14/94], LEO Only, or Export. Do NOT get caught with one of these magazines...! ! :(

Some States, Cities, and other jurisdictions have passed Local Laws prohibiting "Hi Caps"...! ! :(

Warning: There are some individuals selling Post Ban "Hi Caps" out of Canada...! ! :eek:

Reports indicate that these are Post Ban magazines where the "Export" markings have been 'buffed-off' the bodies...! ! These are Illegal...! ! :mad:

Bottom Line:
1. Federally, it is LEGAL to own a Pre-Ban "Hi Cap" magazine. Check your Local Laws...! !
2. Federally, it is LEGAL to sell or buy a Pre-Ban "Hi Cap" magazine. Check your Local Laws...! !
3. Federally, it is ILLEGAL to own a Post Ban* "Hi Cap" magazine...! ! :eek:

* Post Ban = Dated, LEO, Military [US Gov't.], or Export marked.

Reference:
1994 Assault Weapons Ban* [full text]
[ * AWB - TITLE 18 , PART I , CHAPTER 44 , Sec. 921. ]

I hope this clarifies what is legal vs illegal...! ! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know about high capacity mags in California?
I searched and came across this DoJ site (go to the april 30th update). The way I read that you cannot have a high cap mag but I do beleive you can buy a preban at gun shows in CA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.