Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went ahead and TOTALLY dissasembled my Mossberg model 340KA. I found the strut and spring assembly.

The gun has a 5 lb. pull w/ no creep etc.

I'd like to lower the pull. Should I

A) Stretch the spring

B)Cut it smaller (not by much)

C) Replace it w/ a smaller spring

D) replace it with a larger sping

It seems that a smaller/ weaker spring would yield a lighter weight of pull. Thaks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
A lighter spring will make a lighter pull.
Stretching the spring out longer (assuming you can stretch it until it permanently stays longer) will give it a heavier pull.
Cutting it will give you a lighter pull.
Replacing it will change your pull but whether its heavier or lighter will depend on the spring rate and length of spring.

What I would suggest is to not mess with the spring at all.
Lightening it could give you inconsistent ignitions, making it heavier could throw off the trigger resetting.
The propper way to lighten the pull would be to figure out how the trigger parts, namely the hammer and/or sear, work. Then you'd want to polish the surfaces that make contact and, if you know what you're doing, change some angles on the engagement.
Take your time on it and take off only a tiny bit at a time if you decide to work on the trigger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.