Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through a .22 collection today that an elderly gentleman had sold a pawnbroker,in the collection was Model 16 Rem. that had been reblued and wood refinished.The blueing was a good piece of work but the wood left a lot to be desired,the pawnbroker said he had fired it and it functioned perfectly.Any ideas as to the value of this old rifle, its marked .22 Rem. R.F. is this the same ammo as the .22 WRF used in the 1890 Win. and the Rem 12cs. Any help appreciated Thanks (gn luver) Max W.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
No, it's the same as the .22 Auto Rimfire that Winchester (excuse my language) had in their Model 1903 semi-auto.... the predecessor to the Model 63.

I really shouldn't run down Winchesters.... I actually do own a couple.... just not rifles.... they're way overpriced for no better quality.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi GP,Thanks for the info,I have several boxes of .22 Win. Auto that i bought to use in a 1903 i bought about a year ago so i assume they would work in this Model 16 Rem.Of course i don't have it yet,he's asking $325.00 but there is trading room in it how much i don't know.It sure seems like an interesting old Rem. the first one i've ever seen but it's been reblued and the wood needs to be done over looks like it's got several coats of varnish on it and real dark.I agree with your assesment of Win. prices i just bought a 121 fieldmaster in 90+ and i believe a Win. 61 would bring twice that or more wouldn't it,it sure is a nice rifle.I realize the collector value is gone in the Rem. 16 with the refinish on it but i've come to like old Remingtons and the prices aren't out of sight yet.Thanks again (gn luver) :cool: Max W.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I tried to buy an old (1919 oct. bbl.) '94 Win. at an auction a couple years ago, just because I thought everyone needs at least one Win. lever gun, but found out the guy bidding against me was the seller so I quit and let him keep it. I have model 12 and 42 shotguns but that's it for Winchesters. I've had the 12 for 41 years and the 42 for about 15 years, so at that rate I'll need another in about 2016..... better start saving!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Actually guys, the Remington model 16 is chambered for the "22 Remington Autoloading" cartridge. Not to be confused with the "22 Winchester Automatic". They are different. I have heard that one will fire in the other, but not the other way around. I can't remember which.

I believe the first one of the middle three is the Remington and the other two are Win. The first one of the last three is the WRF (or Special). Hope that helps. It would be a unique rifle to own, but probably not shoot much!

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
5mm...
I believe you're right, but I think the 16 will shoot the Winchesters but the 1903 won't shoot the Rem. Auto. A buddy has, or had, a 16 and I'm pretty sure he shot some of the reproduction Winchesters in it. I'll try to remember to ask him at coffee this PM.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
5mm....
I was in the middle of mowing my yard and missed coffee this afternoon.... man, this retirement is rough some days :) !
I called the guy I thought had one but it wasn't him. He said he would look it up in his "Cartridges of the World" book and let me know tomorrow.
gr'pa

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the help,I think 5mmmag is right might be a nice old gun to have in your collection but probably not much of a shooter,i bid $250.00 on it and he didn't seem insulted of course used guns are like used cars he is a dealer and he might not have very much in it.GP it will be interesting to find out if the Win.Autos will work in it as i said earlier i have about 12 boxes of them,of course it still wouldn't be a pratical shooter even though they're available i paid $9.00 per box of 50.I'm new to the Rem. field so i didn't know of a model 16 do they have much collector interest,i suppose it's like most things depends on who wants it. Thanks again guys(gn luver) Max W. Ne. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.