Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a pawnshop today and the owner had just purchased a Rem .22 collection from an elderly man,i have been looking for a 510 but there was no 510 in it but there was a near new condition 514 i purchased for a $115.00.I read in this forum somewhere that these were made to compete with Stevens & High Standard as a lower price than the 510,is this correct.I noticed it has a different bolt assembly than the other 51x series.was this a fair price. Thanks (gn luver) Max W.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gn luver, Not a bad price for a good rifle, around here 514's usually go for more than 510's only because they are considered to be a newer model by most people, sound like you did a search here and learned better, it is good starter rifle and a Remington, hard to go wrong with that, what other Remington's did your pawnshop have? I think we all dream of walking into a pawnshop that just bought a Remington .22 collection. :p Olypenn22

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Olypenn,I think he had about 20 or 25 with some Win. sprinkled in.But all .22s.I know there was a nice 550-1 but i was real pushed for time and had to leave but am going back today to look further. gn luver

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
gn luver said:
I was in a pawnshop today and the owner had just purchased a Rem .22 collection from an elderly man,i have been looking for a 510 but there was no 510 in it but there was a near new condition 514 i purchased for a $115.00.I read in this forum somewhere that these were made to compete with Stevens & High Standard as a lower price than the 510,is this correct.I noticed it has a different bolt assembly than the other 51x series.was this a fair price. Thanks (gn luver) Max W.
According to my 1949 price list when the 514 was first introduced, the retail price of a 514 was $13.95, compared to a 510 at $19.95. This was at a time when Stevens and others were selling single shot .22s for around $12. A 60%increase in price meant a lot of money in 1949 as it would today.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi GP, That's the info i was looking for,i knew you were the one who wrote about this but couldn't find the thread.You are also right about the money $5.00 was a days pay in 1948. Thanks (gn luver) Max W.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Fatstrat said:
I know where a NICE 510 is. Spotted it at a pawnshop on my trucking route. (went in on my luch break). But it's about 70 miles from my home to go get it and I hate to use the gas.
If the 70 miles is north of you in Kansas, PM me. My 510 has had the wood refinished and I could always use a 90%+ original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.