Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a quality 22LR AR Upper or maybe just a complete rifle. I've got a couple lowers and plenty of AR parts and have put together a few AR's, so just an upper is actually preferable.

Quality definition;
1.) I don't want a problem child, must function without anything but the occasional issue.
2.) accuracy doesn't have to be a tack driver, but much better than plinker (S&W M&P) accuracy.
3.) would like a functional LRBHO.

Do not want a CLE, prefer something that uses Black Dog magazines.

***Or would I be better off going with a 10-22 and a chassis?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my CMMG B unit and dedicated upper... I use Black Dog stainless feed lip sonic welded mags, but don't have a need for last round bolt hold open... I had a Boonie Packer LRBHO using 15-22 magazines on a CMMG A unit, but with a lot of use the polymer feed lips were grooved by the cartridge rim and caused malfunctions.... the LRBHO offers no advantage in Steel Challenge, only a potential liability.. regards

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cmmg conversion bolt. Year 2. No idea on round count but I have cci on speed dial and have earned a christmas card from them.....
0 malfuntions
Can swap in less than a minute back to 5.56/.223 and be back on target in 1.5 minutes.
I am a fan. Aimpoint printed target is .22lr @ 115M off hand. shoot and see target 62 gr .223 bt 115m off hand.
World Wood Textile Font Clock

Outerwear Machine gun Wood Air gun Flooring

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Grey Font

Plant Wood Automotive tire Grass Groundcover

Shotgun Wood Air gun Gun barrel Trigger

·
Registered
506 Posts
Bought a cmmg barrel /bcg from a guy on GB where he was selling a complete rifle. I emailed him to see if he would just sell the upper, sure thing. Just recently put it into my Seekins upper and sold the 300 Blkout bbl/bcg that was in that upper. Very accurate .22 set up. Black dog mags, 100% reliable.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Looking for a quality 22LR AR Upper or maybe just a complete rifle. I've got a couple lowers and plenty of AR parts and have put together a few AR's, so just an upper is actually preferable.

Quality definition;
1.) I don't want a problem child, must function without anything but the occasional issue.
2.) accuracy doesn't have to be a tack driver, but much better than plinker (S&W M&P) accuracy.

***Or would I be better off going with a 10-22 and a chassis?

Thanks,

Jerry
My only comment (and maybe I'm missing something?) is the Black dogs mags don't support LRBHO, same with the CMMG mags.

Like many here I have a BCA upper and am on my 3rd. The first was a disaster, the second was actually pretty good, but had the partially unsupported chamber issue, and the 3rd is correct, i just haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm on the fence on recommending BCA, at least their 22lr uppers. I will say, they've stood behind their product.

I think if I were to go the AR22 route all over again, I'd search out a KRISS Defiance and spend the money.

DW

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

My only comment (and maybe I'm missing something?) is the Black dogs mags don't support LRBHO, same with the CMMG mags.
Exactly. You can have one or the other, not both.

A lot of people are happy with CMMG/BDM magazines. They seem like a fine solution if you don't mind pulling the empty magazine out of the rifle and retracting the bolt again after reloading.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Exactly. You can have one or the other, not both.

A lot of people are happy with CMMG/BDM magazines. They seem like a fine solution if you don't mind pulling the empty magazine out of the rifle and retracting the bolt again after reloading.
It is annoying it holds open till you drop the mag. But on the other hand, if I am seriously dumping 60+ rounds of rimfire ima switch it back to 5.56 and light the fires🤣
Oops I meant 50+ the ones I have only hold 25rds, but still...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Like many here I have a BCA upper and am on my 3rd. The first was a disaster, the second was actually pretty good, but had the partially unsupported chamber issue, and the 3rd is correct, i just haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm on the fence on recommending BCA, at least their 22lr uppers. I will say, they've stood behind their product.

I think if I were to go the AR22 route all over again, I'd search out a KRISS Defiance and spend the money.

DW
Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

Nevadany,

Thanks for your info on the BCA, and I'll look up the Kriss Defiance & CMMG build.

Yes, I looked into an AR-22 about a year ago, and did some reading this morning after posting the above. IIRC You have to use S&W mag's and an aftermarket part (catch 22?) for LRBHO?

The reason I want LRBHO is it would be for my daughter, who is presently in the National Guard and is trying to go active in the Army. I've got what I feel are some pretty nice upgrades for the AR15, and she wants nothing to do with it, won't even let me put a nice LPVO on her personal AR. Wants to keep it the same as what the Army/NG use, for familiarity/training purposes.

Also thought about just getting her a 10-22 as she likes her brothers. It has AR15 type sights on it (Nodak Spud's).

Glad to see you guys commenting, seen your many posts on AR22's... Thanks!

Jerry

Edited to add; Also just considering continuing to reload ammo for her, considering what I would spend for a dedicated AR22 I could probably load 3 plus thousand rounds!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I like that it holds the bolt open enough that the rifle can’t be fired with a round in the chamber. The bolt closes when the mag is removed. After you insert a fresh mag instead of hitting the bolt release you cycle the bolt a little more than an inch and you’re good to go. But it’s not the same setup as an AR so for training it’s not a real training tool except to practice a magazine malfunction.

·
Premium Member
59,385 Posts
Had mine quite a while and though many have little good to say for them my Tactical Solutions upper on a PSA lower has been totally reliable for the 600 or so rounds I've put through it. Need to shoot it more.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Edited to add; Also just considering continuing to reload ammo for her, considering what I would spend for a dedicated AR22 I could probably load 3 plus thousand rounds!
You could but then you wouldn't have an AR22.

I have a few ARs in 5.56. They are fun to build and get sorted out.

However, once I built my first AR in 22lr, and second and third... I began to regard shooting my centerfire rifles as noisy drudgery. Nothing beats a 22lr AR set up to your taste.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"...once I built my first AR in 22lr, and second and third... I began to regard shooting my centerfire rifles as noisy drudgery. Nothing beats a 22lr AR set up to your taste."

I know what you mean regarding shooting 22's, times ten with a suppressor.

Especially on a hot August day, do I want to sweat with muffs on or chat with a buddy while shooting with a suppressor.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

Nevadany,

Thanks for your info on the BCA, and I'll look up the Kriss Defiance & CMMG build.

Yes, I looked into an AR-22 about a year ago, and did some reading this morning after posting the above. IIRC You have to use S&W mag's and an aftermarket part (catch 22?) for LRBHO?

The reason I want LRBHO is it would be for my daughter, who is presently in the National Guard and is trying to go active in the Army. I've got what I feel are some pretty nice upgrades for the AR15, and she wants nothing to do with it, won't even let me put a nice LPVO on her personal AR. Wants to keep it the same as what the Army/NG use, for familiarity/training purposes.

Also thought about just getting her a 10-22 as she likes her brothers. It has AR15 type sights on it (Nodak Spud's).

Glad to see you guys commenting, seen your many posts on AR22's... Thanks!

Jerry

'IF' you end up going the BCA 22lr upper route, and you dedicate a lower to the build, you can get the KRISS bolt stop and use their mags for a proper LRBHO. You can also use CMMG & BDM mags, with or without the extended follower, but they wont actuate the bolt stop.

The S&W MP15-22 mags require a shim in any ar15 lower because they are shorter front to back. Personally, I tried those mags, they work, but are expensive for what they are, and can be hard to find. i'm not a fan.

DW

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I like that it holds the bolt open enough that the rifle can’t be fired with no round in the chamber. The bolt closes when the mag is removed. After you insert a fresh mag instead of hitting the bolt release you cycle the bolt a little more than an inch and you’re good to go. But it’s not the same setup as an AR so for training it’s not a real training tool except to practice a magazine malfunction.
Which is no different than the conversion kits we used in the service. It was always more about getting trigger time and concentrating on marksmanship skills. In a few units, I was a marksmanship trainer and we would use the conversion kits at indoor ranges when we couldn't get to the outdoor ranges due to weather.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll add this to the discussion... I used to shoot 3 gun, and picked up a CMMG A chamber insert unit prior to getting the dedicated collar units... Kyle Lamb was pretty notorious for weak side transitions at his North Carolina Tactical match, and the guys at the AMU at Ft Benning followed his lead at their matches, so I would shoot about 1000 weak-strong barricade transitions with the .22lr prior to the match (I was a poor school teacher, now a poor retired school teacher)... a couple of bricks put a lot of residue into the action .... for 2010, I removed the gas block and tube, closed off the gas port with a stainless screw clamp... after returning home from 2010, I decided I wanted to upgrade the accuracy...I put together a dedicated 16" CMMG barrel upper... when I built the SBR, I added the 9" that I currently use for Steel Challenge... regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
The answer to this question is the Nordic 22RB dedicated upper. I've messed around with CMMG builds and had a premium CLE, but the Nordic is my favourite. Not nearly as expensive as the CLE, but highly accurate and, in my experience, very reliable. I have not had a single failure (shooting CCI, norma, and some junk rounds) after at least 1k and counting. Also takes black dog magazines, which are all I use with it.

Comes complete and you can usually find them around if you search long enough (I see them on arfcom every now and then).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm following any new comments.

We went to a shoot today, and she used a loaner S&W AR22, said she liked the AR22 a lot better than the 10-22.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 45 Posts