Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*(Update)* Added an inexpensive scope to a 511. -pics

As stated in the title, I am debating whether or not to add an inexpensive scope to my newly rebuilt Remington 511. I know less than nothing about scope mounting, choosing a scope, etc... I could use a few links/references to read up on what I need to do to get this process started. I realize the first thing I need to do is get it drilled/tapped for a mount, but there is still a question with that. Are there different mounts to choose from? Is there a specific one that is reccommended? Also, what would be a decent inexpensive scope to choose for this rifle? I saw a Tasco scope at Walmart for about $30. Is it too much to hope that this would be sufficient for a .22 up to 100yds?

I would appreciate any help you can give a beginner. I looked through the old threads, but didn't find anything that can help a beginner take his first steps in choosing a scope. Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a Tasco "World Class" 3-9x40 ($50) with dovetail, and weaver rings. ($12, and $13) you can have it for $20+postage. it even has a set of flip up scope caps on it. ($7.50) If you're gonna be shooting at 50-100yds. it would be adequate. I have no use for it anymore, and would be glad to see it go to someone whom can use it.

If it doesn't have a dovetail groove. I suggest you take it to a competent gunsmith and ask them to drill/tap it for you. they can probably help you get setup with the right bases too

Let me know by PM or email

Andrew

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
You need to be careful mounting a scope designed for centerfire on a .22. Most regular hunting scopes, including most 3-9X40s, will have parallax problems below 75-100 yds. Almost any adjustable objective scope will take care of that problem but since you are looking for an inexpensive scope, you may not want to spend the money. "Inexpensive" is relative.... most people I shoot with will spend almost as much on the glass as the rifle. Very common to see a $450 scope on a $600 rifle and probably well worth it. You have a $150-$165 rifle so a $100 to $125 scope would not be out of line..... lots of scopes available in that range or even a little less. If you go back and look at some of the recent posts on scoping .22s you should get some ideas. Whatever you do, stay away from the little straight 3/4" tube .22 scopes, because they let in very little light.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Don't mean to try scaring "punch out" away from buying your 3-9 scope and hope I didn't.... it's a very good buy. I've used 4X and 3-9X Tascos (not WC) on .22s and they worked fine down to 50 yds. on sporter type rifles like the 511. As a matter of fact, I had a 3-9X Tasco on a 511 for a long time. As I got a little more serious about paper punching, I needed more power. As for WC Tascos, I have one in a 24X Target dot scope and have never had a problem with it.... a good scope.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
punch out - Check out THIS THREAD for info on D&T'ing one of the Rem 5-teen rifles. Not a job for a rank amateur but not beyond the capability of a reasonably competent person with proper tools either. All the 5-teen receivers are the same (except the 514) so procedures would be no different.

If you're looking to obtain the absolute mazimum in accuracy from your rifle, a large objective, high power, rimfire, or adjustable objective scope is needed (at least as far as optics go). If you just want reasonably good accuracy for small game hunting or plinking, the scopes you're considering will do OK.

I have around 40 rimfires in my vault, most of them scoped, and over half have glass with "centerfire" parallax setting. No problems dispatching squirrels, starlings, soda cans, charcoal briquets, etc., from point blank out to 65-70yds, with any of them.

Get your rifle D&T'd, put on the scope that feels comfortable to you and is adequate for the task, and you'll enjoy that 511 for a long time :t .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I decided to give it to him anyway so he can put the $20 towards the d&T. I've been given alot of stuff in the last year or so that my gun hobby has really picked up so I figured it's time for me to start givin too :). That way if it doesn't work out he can sell it and put the $$ towards one that fits his needs

Andrew

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yep, on my 510, the iron sights are easily seen when the scope is removed. Another nice thing about using the Weaver bases, when you use Weaver rings with the cross bolt, the scope returns to pretty near zero when you re mount it on the rifle. Some other weaver style rings don't have the cross bolt and are hard to return to exactly the same spot. Not a problem with genuine Weavers (or others with the cross bolt that fits the Weaver base slot :t .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ack! The Gunsmiths in my area are quoting over $30 per hole to D&T this rifle! That is a little more than I was looking to spend on this little gun. ****. I have to keep calling around.

edit: Just found one about 45minutes away that charges $12 per hole. That is a little more reasonable.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Yep, some 'smiths seem to want to recoup all their expenses in just a couple of jobs. Not complainin' you understand, a craftsman knows what his time is worth and many go by the local prevailing rate. Several years ago my local 'smith charged me $7 per hole (he'd been charging $3-5 per hole depending on the job) for doing a converted mauser. After that I started watching eBay and eventually found a Forster sight/scope mount drilling jig with bushings for both #6 & #8 holes. Bid it in for under $150, already had drill bits & taps on hand. I've D&T'd enough since (of my own rifles) to repay myself for well over the jig cost, at the current prevailing local rate of $10-15 per hole. And.... I don't have to spend my time taking it to the 'smith & waiting for the job :cool: .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Punch Out....Just stumbled into your thread and two things I'll share. One, a 511 is a wonderful old Remington iron-sighted rifle. I have one that's as good as you can find, but I'd never put a scopre on it because it changes the whole balance and feel of the gun.

Second, there's nothing so expensive...and nothing worse...than a cheap rifle scope. If you're going to d&t the 511 at least give the dignity of a decent scope. I wouldn't even consider a variable if you're looking to stay around $100...and I certainly think you'd want more precision than you can get for $100 if you're shooting beyond 50 yards, especially if you want to do it long-term.

That said, Nikon's pro-staffs are very good. The 4X can be bought for $100 and the 2-7X about $125. Parallax on the 2-7 is 75 yards, but not really a problem for typical .22 shooting.

Best,
6Bucks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well...the project was recently finished. I took it out for a test drive yesterday, and was very impressed. I mainly stayed on the 50yd range, and found it to be very accurate once I adjusted the scope. I want to thank Agoetz2005 for his generous gift to a new member, and show pictures of the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
6Bucks said:
Punch Out....Just stumbled into your thread and two things I'll share. One, a 511 is a wonderful old Remington iron-sighted rifle. I have one that's as good as you can find, but I'd never put a scopre on it because it changes the whole balance and feel of the gun.

Second, there's nothing so expensive...and nothing worse...than a cheap rifle scope. If you're going to d&t the 511 at least give the dignity of a decent scope. I wouldn't even consider a variable if you're looking to stay around $100...and I certainly think you'd want more precision than you can get for $100 if you're shooting beyond 50 yards, especially if you want to do it long-term.

That said, Nikon's pro-staffs are very good. The 4X can be bought for $100 and the 2-7X about $125. Parallax on the 2-7 is 75 yards, but not really a problem for typical .22 shooting.

Best,
6Bucks
I wish I could use the iron sights but when I got the rifle, the barrel had already been cut down (thus removing the front sight) So is the only option I have is to mount a scope? I could replace the barrel , but the barrels for this rifle aren't cheap. Opinions?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.