Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ptarmigan with the S&W 22S! (pic)

499 5
This little pistol is great. I had a great day with the dog. She was full of enthusiasm but short on brains today. These were the first birds she has seen since september, and she forgot alot of her manners. I seen about 30 today and I feel lucky I was able to get 5 with my pistol. I probably could have got all of them with a shotgun, and at least 15 if I had my hummer. It is very Hard hunting these. They are found in alpine areas and usually require extensive stomping around with snowshoes in the deep snow. When you find them your heart rate is racing, and you must calm down enough to get a steady shot in time. Very challenging with a pistol. Sorry about the gory looking picture. Theyre white feathers really soak up the blood after they sit in your pack for 5 miles. They will be good eating for me tonight!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Good shootin with the handgun! It feels good to be able to bring home dinner with the pistol.:)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice shootin.

So when do we get some pics off the mountains again??

The pics from you are always awesome.

Dean_311

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I know, I was kicking myself for not bringing the camera with me when I shot these. It was a beutiful day. Blue sky, Fresh crstal snow, mountains in all directions.... never fear, I will go again and remember the camera. Hopefully the weather holds.... I realize that ptarmigan, my deck and plastic pails are not a good combo. Besides the ptarmigan look better when first shot! Thanks for the compliment Dean. I am always encouraged to post pics because of yours and everyones comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.