Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rear bag came in Wednesday. I just got around to packing it with sand. I guess I got one of the first available. Haven't shot with it yet [shooting the regionals in the morning].

Protector advertises three layers of leather on the bottom. Actually, it's five layers. The three main layers are approximately 1/4" thick each. The other two are thin layers. There is a doughnut built into this bag. Empty, it sat flat when unfilled. It sits flat after filling. It has a thin soft layer on bottom to hug the surface it is touching.

The sides are made of very thick leather. Stuff as I might, I never got the sides to bulge. All sewing looks to be very sturdy. It is a hansome bag. The sides are black and the rear panel is light tan colored with the Protector logo on it.

The ears are about halfway between rabbit and bunny. They look to be somewhat wider than the Bald Eagle I have been shooting from. Each ear has it's own filler. It has two stitches between the ears.

So far I cannot see any downside to this rear bag.

Will report again after using tomorrow.

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Hey Ron,

That New Protektor sounds like a good set up. I happened to get my Edgewood this week too - All I can say is WOW. It did take 7 weeks.

Dale3, cannot say about the Protektor, but Edgewood lets you order the height you want.

· Registered
95 Posts
Greetings RonG, Who did you purchase it from and did you just fill it with regular beach sand? Ive heard that if you mix a little baby powder into the sand it will flow better; havent tried it but I might if I pick up this new bag.
Thanks for the report,
Happy Independance Day 2 all,
Robert

· Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Definitely use the talc. I used some old Ammen's Medicated Powder and it really helped, even with heavy sand.

I did my first bags without the talc using aquarium sand and swore I would never do it again. I would pay the money to have them shipped directly from Protektor already filled. But, when the time came to do more bags, I wanted to use the heavy sand from Sinclair's. So, I tried the talc trick and it was an amazing difference. :eek:

· Registered
828 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last one is it

I really like this bag. It is the same height as their regular bag, or close to it. I still had to use the extra doughnut for sporter. The slightly longer ears help a lot. Beggest improvement is the front to back measurement. It is a good bit more on this bag, stabilizes the stock very well.

I didn't shoot worth a flip today, but I love my rear bag.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
I just ordered on from Sinclairs yesterday. They said the were coming in about every three-four days and going out just as fast. Mine is backordered but they said it would take too long. As a bonus, shipping is free on backorders!!!!!!
Thanks for the review Ron. I do want to get an Edgewood one of these days too!!!!!
Hey Brian,
what flavor of Edgewood did you get? One thing holding me back on them is not know exactly what to order. The options for even single style are many!!!!
Jim

· Banned
798 Posts
Jim, consider the Gator, which is the long one with short ears. It's a piece of art. 3-4 color options, just get proper stiching between the ears for, say an edge type stock as opposed to a std round stock. They'll help you. The thing is rock steady.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Finally got my new Protector bag filled nice and firm with heavy sand and have made a few trips to the range with it. I do like it and sure think it is a cut above the Protector Custom (thick bottomed) bag that it replaced (that bag went to a friend who was surprised how much a decent rear bag can help, something I have told him for several years now).
I would have to say I am satisfied and would say if a person was in the market, they wouldn't make a mistake getting one. Shoot, compared to thin bottomed, less expensive bags, this bag is a quantum leap ahead.
All that said, I still want to order an Edgewood. Actually this new Protector might just make that easier. See I was torn between a Minigator and a Gator Edgewood. Well the Protector will fill the size and weight niche that a MiniGator would fill. Hmmmmm.....
Jim

· Registered
142 Posts
Can you only get these from Sinclairs? What about direct from Protektor? I'm planning on getting some bags sent to me here in Australia and if I get them straight from Protektor the shipping is heaps cheaper. I can't spot them on the protektor website and the Sinclair description makes it sound like they are a special arrangement. Does anyone have an answer before I email Protektor to ask.

Cheers, appreciate your time.
Justin

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Howdy Justin,
I wondered the same thing when I checked Protektor's website just before I ordered from Sinclair. I didn't see it there either.
I bet an e-mail to Protektor will get you your answer. Let me know if this is a hassle and I can call them from here in the States.
It sure isn't marked as a Sinclair exclusive.
Jim

· Registered
444 Posts
justin,i don`t think there are any special arrangements re the protektor bags,i think that if you just order exactly what you want {part and model #} and ask for confirmation you should get the order,give it a go and lets know how it works out as one of my club`s members has ordered stuff and i think without hassles,let`s know if it works out!.seeya mate

· Registered
142 Posts
I emailed protektor and got a reply for this new bag.

Quote: You can order this bag from us if you would like, the price is $63.00

So you can buy this bag direct from Protektor. Hotdog, yep I've send emails to protektor before and they have been very helpful. They will also sell you the bags unfilled to save on postage which means if your package is light enough (under 4lbs) they can send it via USPS Global Priority for a flat rate of $9US. If you bought them filled, shipping is around $40-$50US.

Sinclair Int. will also send overseas but they use UPS (dear dear dear dear dear-get the picture) or USPS and include insurance and an international handling fee so are more expensive.

Hope it helps. I might order a front and rear bag in the near future.

Cheers, Shandy

· Registered
180 Posts
Shandy said:
I emailed protektor and got a reply for this new bag.

Quote: You can order this bag from us if you would like, the price is $63.00

So you can buy this bag direct from Protektor. Hotdog, yep I've send emails to protektor before and they have been very helpful. They will also sell you the bags unfilled to save on postage which means if your package is light enough (under 4lbs) they can send it via USPS Global Priority for a flat rate of $9US. If you bought them filled, shipping is around $40-$50US.

Sinclair Int. will also send overseas but they use UPS (dear dear dear dear dear-get the picture) or USPS and include insurance and an international handling fee so are more expensive.

Hope it helps. I might order a front and rear bag in the near future.

Cheers, Shandy
Why can't Protektor (in Galeton,PA) ship by USPS Priority Mail using one of the Flat Rate boxes provided free by the Post Office.
I shipped a heavy front rest last month and the Flat Rate fee is $7.70 and it can weigh up to 70 pounds if you can fit it in one of the two box sizes available.Either of the two box sizes will hold any rear bag.
Insurance would be extra but they can use Delivery Confirmation which provides a tracking number and costs only 45 cents.
Look on the USPS web site.

· Registered
142 Posts
There aren't too many options when shipping internationally. Yes, you guys have **** cheap postage within the US but once it heads out overseas the price goes up substanitally and options are limited. I've got plenty of things shipped over so I'm pretty aware of what options there are.

The best deal is the global priority flatrate envelope for $9 if things will fit (empty bags will) and if it weighs less than 4lbs. Airmail and global priority package are the next cheapest if things dont get too heavy. For heavy or bulky items, surface post is the only method that doesn't cost a fortune, but takes anywhere from 8-12 weeks to arrive.

UPS or Fedex charge the earth and I would never consider shipping with them. They are a flat out rip off. I've been quoted $60USD to ship a small box (6"X4"X3", 0.5lb) to Australia with UPS. I think UPS (and I know Fedex does it) like to charge duty and GST in the shipping price whether or not the item actually attracts any of these charges.

Cheers, Shandy

· Registered
444 Posts
g`day shandy and all our US mates,as far as postage goes i have had several quotes to send a front rest to queensland australia and the cheapest, is wait for it, $200-US postage for a $200 US rest and 8-12 weeks later another 10% gst,SORRY GUYS forget the import bit.

· Registered
142 Posts
Hi Hotdog,

Who was that rest through and what postage service were they using? Sounds like the postage was through UPS or Fedex (or the place was trying to rip you off). If you were to get USPS Surface postage it should be a lot cheaper than that (but still not real cheap).

The trick is to keep shopping round different places to find ones that will ship with USPS surface (unfortunately no insurance on this service). Most places will for overseas orders, but some don't like the no insurance issue. I've used surface post for beer kegs to Australia with good results as have a lot of other homebrewers here in Australia.

I've just punched in 40lb (~20kg and I reckon the rest would be much lighter than that) into the USPS calculator and surface shipping comes out at $67USD (bit under $100AUD)-that is a lot less than $200US so something is suss, if the price of the rest plus shipping is substantially less than Australia then it's still worth it. Up to you though.

In order to avoid Duty and GST you need to keep the total price under about $300AUD (thats the product+shipping). Probably going to be tough with the rest so you might get hit the 5% duty + 10% GST.

Good luck in sorting something out. I think a Cadwell Rock is aroud $205AUD from Nioa trading, Competition $394 and BR1000 Rock $445 although I haven't sourced a local price.

Cheers mate. Shandy

· Registered
444 Posts
g`day shandy,don`t quote me but from memory the price was from {no it`s not fair to say as i can`t be sure now}but it was a genuine quote.thanks for the info ,so i now have some options to look up.why do you need to import beer kegs??,you either brew fast or drink slow,lol.i make h/b wine out of grapefruits!!.and some fool was trying to tell me too much alcohol affects your memor

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.