Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I cannot find a 22 MAGNUM factory round to fire completely in my new Single Six (6 1/2 SS). I've tried the common factory rounds of Winchester, Remington and Federal. For some reason the powder is not completely burning away. With the tiny unburned powder balls it jams the ejector rod making it hard to remove the expent round. Anybody have any suggestions. I prefer a magnum round for groundhog, but have to use the LR. Actually, the Winchester LR ammo is very accurate and fires clean with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed the same thing in my Single Six. I think the revolver is just too short for all powder to burn. This is just my opinion and in no way scientific. I just think that the 22wrm is more at home in a rifle than a handgun. Makes for a nice bang though...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've not had enough of a problem to have an ejection issue with my single six firing the magnum stuff, but the unburnt powder is certainly there. Also ball powder tends to leave ash behind that looks somewhat like the unburnt powder at times anyhow. Lastly from checking ammo over a cronograph. The 22 wmr ammo certainly departs more power to the bullet the LR ammo out of my single six, but not as much as would be expected out of the same ammo in a rifle. I have a recent thread on this if you want me to dig up a link.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had much the same results when using mag ammo in a revolver, I believe that the mag uses a somewhat slower burning powder than regular LR ammo and of course more of it. The slow powder will not burn completely in a short barrel. I see the same thing in the larger centerfires, for instance when firing 357mag loaded with a slow burning powder I can see many unburned particles in the barrel. The same ammo fired in a Marlin 94 rifle shows little or no residue.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Of course, I wish it wasn't happening at all because the magnum round is better on the fat groundhogs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My dad has an AMT AutoMag II in .22 WMR. It very only likes one brand of ammo: Winchester. The CCI and others use a different type of powder that clog the gas system on the AutoMag and make it fail after only a few rounds. With Winchester, it functions very well (but dirty).

Or maybe my memory is bad and it hates Winchester but works great with CCI (I know those are the only two brands we've tried in any quantity).

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.