Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Problem With new G.M. Barrel

1195 11
I got done putting my 10/22 back togehter and it looks great. I was making sure it would cycle unfireed round and got looking at realized the barrel is taking a little hunk of lead off the top of the bullet on some of the rounds when they are fed into the chamber. I haven't shot it yet so I don't know if it afects anything, any ideas of what this could be

Here is my 10/22...

The next thing that is going on it is a new scope mount and scope so don't make fun of that, thanks...
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked both of the mags that I have, and both of them "click" into the gun. I haven't really paid any attention to whether or not it is just with one mag or not. I plan on getting it out tomorrow and doing some shooting so I will look at it then and tell you if it is one mag or not

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ive noticed that mine does that too but i didnt think too much of it. It seems to be most noticable with dynapoints. when i drop a mag to reload all the little shavings fall out. let me know if this is a problem. Major

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can tell the lead is being shaved off from the top of the bullet, where the lube groves are. Its happening when the bullet starts in the barrel and the snaps out of the mag and comes in line with the chamber. I' didn't think about it today of I would have gotten a picture of it for ya to see.
The rounds I'm shooting right now are Mini Mags and some federal bulk packed stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe you could pull the barrel off and look at the edge of the chamber to see if there's a burr. It could be the sharp edge of the chamber is scrapping the bullet as it leaves the magazine an enters the chamber.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine doesnt seem to have any burrs. i ran a 10 rnd clip federals(550 bulk pack) through mine by just cycling the bolt and not firing and there seems to be just a extremly small wear marlk on all the bullets in the center of the bottom of the bullet itself. there was a small amount of the copper color shavings but not enough to worry about. Just by looking at the federals and the dynapoints you can tell a difference in how the bullet is sized. the dynapoint seems to be a little fatter for and not as pointed as the federal i tested so that may be the reason in my case. I would say unless you want to try to polish out the center of the bottom edge of the chaimber that there is not much to stop this from happening. the bullet will have to ride on some part of the chaimber. i presume thats why most guns have a ramp to take away this edge.
Another thing that could be happening is the bulleets are not all the same in size and its trimming them to fit in the chaimber. I imagive with them being lead and so small it would be easy to have small differences in the accual bullets. So what we are seeing to some extent could be just trimming off the excess if your getting larger shavings like i get with the dynapoints. Anyway thats my idea, Major

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Once in a while, it's necessary to slightly break the sharp edge of the chamber with a fine stone, and then polish the resultant radius, but I would only do that after making sure all else is correct, and then only enough to remove the sharp edge...

Ron

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Chief Dave once posted that it might be necessary to shim the barrel out 1 or 2 thousanths to fix such a problem. I would think this is due to the differences in the recievers and magazines creating a feed length difference on some 10-22's.

Something else that you might consider is tightening your magazine spring tension if you haven't done it allready. This will help the rounds to chamber straighter due to the extra upward force when stripped from the mag.

It is also possible this may not be happening when the bolt cycles from being fired because the cycle rate is so much faster than when done by hand.

Just some rambling thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.