Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Problem with 10/22 - loosening screws!

1785 10
Hey guys - I'm having a real problem with my 10/22T. Every time I shoot it, the thing keeps wanting to fall apart! The takedown screw gets loose so the barrel slides forward and backward and the screws that hold the scope mount start loosening until the scope rattles all around.

It makes me really frustrated because otherwise, it's a damned tack driver! The manual says not to use loctite or anything on the scope mount screws since it may drip into the action, so I guess I have to live with that... right? Can I put loctite on the takedown screw to keep it from backing out?

Anybody else have this same problem? TIA!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
if you dissassemble the action, pull the bolt out and all, then you can use the loctite and wipe the excess off. Make sure you use the right stuff, the blue not the red.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! Thanks for the tip - I hadn't thought of that. What about the takedown screw?

How hard is it to take apart? The rifle is relatively new to me and I haven't stripped it before... I know from experience that some Rugers are a royal PAIN IN THE *** to detail strip and re-assemble.

I cussed my Dad's pre-mark .22 pistol for days and days before I finally figured out how to get it together!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Loose Screws

Roger Williams,

As has been noted, use a drop of LocTite [#242, Medium, Blue] on each scope base mounting screw.

Your "take-down-screw" is another issue: it is too long and bottoming in its tapped hole in the receiver, thus giving you a 'false' tight. Remove the screw, look in the tapped hole, and you should see a 'bright' spot on the bottom of the barrel where the screw has been hitting...! ! :(

Grind or file ~ one thread's worth of length off the screw and try it: it should tighten slowly, rather than the sudden stop you had before. If it still works loose, remove one more thread's worth from the end. :)

If you do not have an Owner's Manual, one is available FREE from "Ruger": 1-603-865-2442

Hope this helps...! ! ;)

Good Luck...! ! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Listen to these guys, they are masters of the 10/22. I had the same problem with the action screw backing out. I checked it and sure enough it was too long. Couple of swipes with a file shortened the action screw enough and I havent had any trouble since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, except my gun the barrel was loose also! And the reciever was loose in the stock! I am picking it up from the shop today with all the stock looseness fixed and a 2.5 lb trigger... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the info guys!

I plan on hitting the range sometime this weekend, so I'm going to be working on my rifle soon! I really appreciate the help. I will let you all know how the fixes work out.

-Roger

·
Registered
383 Posts
Once you assure yourself that the takedown screw is not too long, it may still back out on you. Mine did. I used blue Loctite on it. That stopped it. Being a socket-head screw it's still easy to get enough purchase on it when it comes time to take it out.

On the scope screws, I enlarged from that crappy little 6-48 thread size to 8-40. These can be snugged up significantly tighter without fear of stripping.

A .22 is like a little jack hammer. It doesn't have much recoil on any given round, but add all of them up, round, after round, after round, and they'll shake your fillings loose!

Zirc

·
Registered
906 Posts
Purple LocTite

Am I the only one on the planet that knows about LocTite 222? ;)
It's the best stuff around for use on the Takedown Screw. It will hold the TD screw well in place, but will allow you to take the action out about 2 or 3 times without needing to be reapplied.
AND if you're experimenting with various TD Screw torques, it allows adjustment of the screw without losing holding power!
REALLY neat stuff! :t

"A little Jack-Hammer!":p That's about the best analogy I've heard, Zircon!
That's why I make my Buffers! Makes it a little Jack-Hammer with a shock absorber!:D
No worries about loosening fasteners or damaging optics! :t

Take Care! - Dakotan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks, Dakotan. Good tip on the Loctite 222. I'll go look for some. I presume it works somewhat like a Nyloc insert to prevent vibration from loosening nuts/bolts.

I can't imagine shooting a 10/22 design without a bolt buffer. I've never tried it, so unfortunately, I take their presence for granted usually.

Zirc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.