Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a BTVS, which shoots "lights-out". I have an occasional problem which I can't quite figure out. I have been testing lots of ammo (the gun is new and I want to find the right ammo). The problem is that, for no apparent reason, when I load a clip the first round will not fully engage. I've tried "tapping" the clips to seat the bullets. I've picked-up the offending round and tried to re-chamber it (which works 50% of the time). I just can't understand what the problem is.
I must be overlooking some quirk that this gun has. Any suggestions would be more than welcomed.
Thanks, tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
From your description it sounds like the common problem with magazine sloppiness. Does the round hang up on the top of the chamber? If so, try holding the magazine more firmly seated back into the magwell when closing the bolt. If that works for you, it means you probably need to tighten up the mag retainer spring clip. Search around here for some of the prior posts covering mag problems.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I had the same thing you are experiencing with the first round out of the 10 round magazines. I found out it contributed to how loose the magazine well held the installed unit. It moves quite a bit, and the loading forces cause the nose of the bullet to be pulled too low, mashing it between the chamber edge, marking the round. I took my rifle completely apart, then using a file, some JB Weld and aluminum stock, I closed up the well enough to keep the magazine held tightly.

Check to see how much play your magazine has. As a test, push in the mag up until it is held tight, then try sliding the bolt and round into action while looking into the breach. Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about it today, while I was supposed to be working, and had a light bulb go on. I have two 5 round mags, could it be that the problems are only with one or the other? DUH! I will mark them and will try the pressure trick on the first one that fails to load.
I really think that the problem here is my rifle. I need to buy a Cooper TR-3...which is a single-loader...and eliminate this problem altogether. On second thought, I would like to keep this one for prone and silhouette shooting.
I think that you both have good ideas which I will try out. At any rate, thanks for the input. tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sometimes, presumably due to mfr tolerances, one mag will seat more snugly than anther. Either way, its not really hard to tighten up the spring clip so it hold all mags with much less slop; all you do is remove the action from the stock, and loosen the two bolts clamping down the spring. Push the spring as far down/back as it will go (in the mag-well), while simultaneously retightening the screws.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I had exactly the same issue, except that it was always the last round out of the clip, and only with Eley Match EPS ammo. It was totally repeatable - only this ammo out of 26 or so I tested, and only the last round -- and it jamed every single time. The end of the box solved the problem. Won't buy this Match EPS stuff again. It also did not shoot that well compared to the price. If I do decide to go Eley Tenex at some point I see they still sell the traditional round nose style. This tested very well for me.

Sorry, I never figured out why it happens.

Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Tim, I had the same problem. I found pushing down on the top round so it reseats works better for me than pulling up on it. Now I do a quick visual check before installing the clip. Craig

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey All,
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to re-tighten the mag spring, as well as check the seating in the magazine before loading. Hopefully both of these ideas will solve my problem, if not, I will have no choice but to purchase a Cooper TR-3. I'm sure THEY don't have this problem........then again,it is a single-loader....but my wife does not need to know that, now does she!! It's all in the details boys...or should I say the lack thereof.
Thanks again,t.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.