Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am not a troll. Feel free to ignore me if you think otherwise. Here is what I need. I have severe predation problems from everything from possoms to 150 pounds dogs and everything in between. I already owe over 4 grand to the vets for fixing up show horses that have been run into fence. Because of the close proximity of my neighbors homes and their stock, I do not feel comfortable taking shots with anything other than a 22lr. I want to know where the bullet stops for that and if it penetrates, it has lost most of its lethality. I want these animals dead. Obviously, my first choice is clean one shot quick kills. However, I won't lose sleep over watching one run off leading a blood trail that looks to me like they won't come back. What shot and at what maximum distance to you recommend. My main problem is dogs, 80 pounds and up. I am thinkg most of the shots are going to be moving targets if I go less than 75 yards. I am not in the position to purchase a new weapon right now. I have at might disposal and couple shot guns (not enough reach) and a 7-08 and 30-30 (both of which I worry about blow through). In short, humane or not, it will be a 22lr cci minimag taking these shots. The gun goes next week to be set up for night time capabilites. Knowing my needs and limitations and that I can nearly aways hit the small end of a pop can at 75 to 100 yards off hand, what shots to you recommend. I obviosly only want them dead. The sportsman (and I hope human) wants to make the process as simple and quick as can be.

Like I said, if this is out of line, kill it right now. I don't want arguments about the moralities of it and I don't won't to be perceived as a troll. I have exhausted other means--poisons, traps periodinc night time trips to scare them off. If I don't get them gone, by wife is going to kill me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
well if all that stuff hasnt worked, im afraid lethal gunshot is about your last choice. When dealing with show horses, i wouldnt blame you for taking drastic measures...youve got lots of money tied up in them (not to mention NORMAL vet bills)

my concern is a .22 on a 80 plus pound dog. .22 mag maybe, but i dont know how many .22lr at 100 yards will take out a big dog, especially wild dogs that are generally tougher. now ive watched two wild dogs go after a deer before and believe me if i had a gun at the time those two dogs would have been dead, because i believe the deer didnt survive. if you can get the dog in a safe position, go for the 30-30, they pack one hell of a wallup but you gotta be sure of your backdrop. def wanna go with a soft point on the 30-30. i believe in humane kills....one shot one kill just like a marine sniper.

i hope you can solve your problem, i hate to have to kill animals that arnt a real threat but your case sounds like a threat to me. any horse isnt a cheap animal and when you have to pay a vet to fix them it becomes more expensive. just do it humanely...also, contact the police to make sure what your doing is ok...explain the problem. and maybe post ads in the paper saying if anyone has dogs running around your area and dont wanna lose them, tie 'em up...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am confused. You seem to have enough info and experience already to forgo asking a question such as yours. :confused:

I would suggest you check with the authorities in your area for the best way to handle this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let clarify--I am not a hobbly shooter that has horses. I am a horse owner who has some guns. The nuts and bolts are which are going to be more effective (hert/lung shots--which I imagine) or holding for heads. And what is the maximum distance at which I switch over from shoot at thiem to just tossin little harmless lead hunks their way.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The most important thing, in my opinion, would be to clear this with the neighbors, and get their opinions and input. They will hear you shooting, and if they take offense to it, you are likely to be in a world of legal hurt.

Range of 22 LR in free air is measured in MILES not yards. Admittedly, after a few hundred yards they've lost a good fraction of their energy (look it up on ammo web sites sometime), but they can still be fatal. Remember, the 22 caliber kills more people than any other caliber in the US. Do you want to go to jail for dozens of years if you kill one of your neighbors by mistake? What if you miss the wild dog, and the round makes a small hole in the neighbors house, and they call the police? You are in for a felony, which in most states means you will never own guns again.

Speaking of going to jail. Have you called your local authorities to find out whether you are even allowed to shoot in your area? You might be in a no shooting zone. That has nothing to do with predatory animals or not - there is no right to self-defense in the legal system to protect your animals. So if a neighbor calls the sheriff because they heard shots, and they find a wild dog with a hole in it, same caliber as the gun you have at home, and the recovered bullet matches your gun, you are again in big trouble.

Remember, in some states or areas it is a felony to shoot in such a fashion that any projectiles land outside your own land! This speaks towards setting up a blind or hideout on a very high point (tree? ladder? balcony?) and shooting downwards. This might also allow you to sit up there, and stake out the predators, and let them come very close to you - suddenly you can use smaller gauges or shotguns, instead of having to take dangerous and inaccurate long shots towards the horizon.

Have you talked to your local wildlife control people (examples: animal control, fish and game)? We had coyote problems in the area, so several neighbors and us talked to both the federal (dept. of agriculture) and state wildlife service. We were assured that we are allowed and even encouraged to shoot coyotes. We then checked with the sheriff's department, and verified that we are in a shooting zone. We were asked quite forcefully to not shoot at night, unless we first call the sheriff and warn them (because if they hear gunfire at night, they might decide to move out with a SWAT team). We were told that no hunting license would be required, if we are shooting coyotes in defense of livestock or pets; it would be required otherwise. So don't be afraid to call the authorities, at least in our case they have been very helpful.

Having all the scary legal and bureaucratic paperwork out of the way: I would suggest a shotgun instead of a 22. Reason is that according to everything one hears, the 22 will only kill at very small ranges, maybe 50 to 100 yards. At that range, a shotgun with medium-size shot should do the job just as well, with less danger of going over range. The safe range of #8 or #9 shot is something like 100 yards - so you can use this even in areas where neighbors are reasonably close. Buckshot or larger shot (#4 on up) will give you more range and quicker kills, but it also increases the range at which you are dangerous.

This is not sportsmanlike hunting with immediate kills, but on varmint and predators, dead is dead, and we sometimes have to ignore the niceties of sportsmanlike behavior. If you use poison or traps, they won't be killed in a nice sportsmanlike fashion either. If you think the extremely loud noise of a 12-gauge is too much, try going for a 410. For a demonstration, take a 12-gauge or a 410-gauge with a reasonable choke, and shoot at a phonebook at 25 and 50 yards distance, and see what damage it does. It should easily be able to kill an 80-pound predator.

I'm sorry if I sound condescending, but we went through some of the same thinking ourselves, and after checking with the authorities decided that for now the coyotes get to live - and if they get much worse, we'll have to set up a blind outside, and stake them out at medium range, probably with a .223 or a similar varmint round. The risk of ruining your own life is way too high. Please don't let the understandable anxiety over the damage to your horses drive you to do something rash and foolish.

·
Registered
668 Posts
do what you gotta do. i would wack em 75 yards or less. aim for the chest and throw as many rounds in em as you can before they are out of range. not normally what i would do but in your case they went from annoying to major problem! KEEP SHOOTING UNTIL DEAD OUT OUT OF RANGE! i shot a wild dog that was bothering sheep on my friends land once with a 22 (all I had) and it ran off. i saw it later at 50 yards and the **** thing was hunting me with a vengence! i emptied the mag on him that time and he FINALLY went down.

·
Registered
936 Posts
moontroll1 said:
CCI velocitors in the lung to 125 yards.
I'll go along with that. Velocitors are fast and accurate. My second choice would be Super-X power points. Plunk 'em in the rib cage. You ain't gonna blow 'em off their feet but they WILL go down before long, drowned in their own bloodfilled lungs. Never mind fancy long range head shots (in the dark!), you won't be doing the animal any favors by blowing off a jaw or an eyeball and having it get away to die slowly in agony or run around the neighbor's yard yippin' and yowlin' and slingin' blood everywhere. Not a pretty thought huh? :( 125 yards would be about max, velocity is falling fast by then. Better to try to stay within 75 yds....

Good luck,

Dennis

BTW, I don't give this advice lightly, killing feral dogs is not pleasant work but sometimes necessary. Lung shots are more humane than you might at first think. WATCH FOR COLLARS! Your neighbor won't like you killing his pet that happens to be running with a feral pack one night...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
well i would use solids not hollowpoints and lung shoot em.

2nd thing is tactics. don't tell your neighbours and if its their dog SHOOT IT. if they can't control their dog then its only going to munch someone elses stock after its done yours. if you go tell them your out after wild dogs they will simply lock the offending dog up, then release it after your hunt and it will continue to kill.

some farmers around here have a standing policy of shooting ANY loose dog. all neighbours are warned to keep their dogs under control.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If I was having those kind of problems I'd probably go a different way altogether and get A Great Pyrenees dog to watch my stock. They'll tackle anything from bobcats to grizzly bears, or so I've heard. Beautiful dogs too, and very protective of animals they watch, night or day. Good luck.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Some quick thoughts:

One, you might try putting a burro or mule in with your horses. Most mules and burros will try to kill a dog rather than run from it, and they'll keep them at bay from your horses.

Second, if you really want to get rid of the dogs, try some traps. If you don't have access to them or don't know enough about them to use them effectively, some states have ADC professionals who might be able to help you with the problem.

You can still shoot the ones that you see, but you'll solve the problem a lot faster by using every means available. I've dealt with this problem myself, and if you stay after it you should get it solved pretty quick.

I'd use velocitor or mini-mag ammo, and in your situation I'd shoot the dogs as far as I could hit them...but I tend to be sort of merciless when it comes to folks letting their dogs loose to chase, maime, and kill stock. IMO this has nothing to do with hunting or ethics; it has to do with protecting your animals. Do what has to be done.

Just remember the three S's. Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

Daryl

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you want to kill wild dogs in a fence, get two Emu's! Talk about a stompin. Like a bionic Ostrich on meth! Secondly, Paco some Velocitors and see how they shoot from your "FIREARMS"(never a weapon - for the Anti's ;) ...it's a mechanical devise bearing no emotions or agendas or intents :t ). Your best bet is to buy some 30-30 Acceleraters, no exit wound just an internal explosion...it's a 22cal. 55gr. saboted bullet in a 30-30 case. Remington made them but now they are made by some one else, I saw new production at a gun .show Mac :t

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bait them for a couple of nights and get them in the habit of coming back to the same spot night after night. Table scraps should work. Set up 40-50yds down wind and use a 12guage with buck shot. Assuming you have a shotgun.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Remember what Ah-nuldt said in Predator: "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

In your situation humane kills are nice but not mandatory. Pump the beast full of lead and they will die or I'd think get very discouraged.

You'd think somebody here would live close enough to come over and help you sort out your problem. Sounds like it could be fun. :D

·
36,633 Posts
If you can get the help of someone who reloads a light 30/30 with 110 gr HP or a light 7-08 with 120 gr would do better than the 22. I believe of you can't do that than multiple hits with 22 is your firearm choice. It's a bad situation any way you look at it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.