Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if premium ammo is worth it. How much of a difference should it make. My scores with Dynapoints and Blazer are in the high 220's and low 230's when shooting the USBR target at 25 yards. When using Wolf Match Extra I shoot high 230's and low 240's. Are those results typical? I am shooting a 10/22 with a pc customs hammer and a clerke bull barrel. I just thought that I would suddenly be Super Shooter when I started using Wolf ME. Kinda like I thought I would be Super Shooter when I switched to a bull barrel. :D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
The only way you will really know is to try some. I have shot CCI Standard, Greentag, Wolf match, Eley match, Eley Club xtra, Remington target Xpert and Two kinds of federal target loads that are in the new boxes. I find that all of this ammo shoots well at 25 yards, but I would have to say the the Eley Club Xtra at $5.99 per box shoots ever so slightly better followed by Wolf Match and Eley match. The Wolf is the cheapest of the last three mentioned here. I shoot these from two different guns. A T/C .22 Classic and a CZ 452 Special and get very good results from both guns with these three ammos.

If you have a Gander Mountain in your area you can get the Wolf Match there, that is if someone has not bought them out of it by the time you get there.
Scheels carries the Eley products.

Just give them a try.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The only way is to try it and see.

I can tell you that every top level competitior I've seen uses expensive ammo. It's worth it to them. At their level a few tenths of a point can make the difference between a win and a lose.

I coach a junior team, for the younger kids they shoot the cheap bulk stuff from CMP. The older kids all shoot the more expensive stuff. I tested ammo with a machine rest in my daughters gun. The SK Standard Plus at $199 per case of 5,000 shoots almost as well as the $8.50 per box Ely EPS Black. So for most uses (practice and local matches) she shoots the SK Standard Plus. For big matches like sectionals or ones that qualify her for national level competition like the Junior Olympic Qualifier she shoots Ely EPS or Tennex.

Buy a box or 2 of each of the higher end ammo types and give them a try. Shoot some 10 or 20 shot groups and see if they are worth it to you or not.

·
Registered
177 Posts
One thing I think you get for your money with the premium ammo is freedom from bloopers that suddenly drop 2" out of a 50 yd group. You see one every now and then with almost everything including SK but not with, say, Eley Match EPS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My daughter's Anschutz shoots Winchester Wildcats better than anything else! Go figure. A couple of my guns prefer the "high dollar" ammo, but guns are like women; there's no telling what they're going to like and no way to predict what they're going to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with VaFish. To an Olympian a few tenths of a point may mean the difference between being a medalist and an also ran. The attention to detail put into making the high dollar ammunition is worth it if you are a serious competitive shooter...or if you just want to see how good you and your gun actually are. For 99.9% of the .22 shooting in the world, Wolf and SK are more than accurate enough. Of course a lot of it depends on the gun. I have an Anschutz rifle that loves RWS R50, but doesn't shoot Eley Tenex nearly as well. Then, I have a Sig Trailside that hates RWS, but loves Eley ammo. Buy a couple of boxes and see what you think. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.