Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Answer me this if you can.........Is it illegal to ...OWN.....not INSTALL.....Items like.....folding stocks,bayonet lugs,flash supressors, and other evil featured items if they are not installed on a particular weapon?

Why do I ask?........Because I am facinated by the fact that you can own these parts but not have them installed on your otherwise legal rifle......but just simply by a few turns of a screwdriver you are all the sudden an instant felon and ready to wreak havoc on society........it is.... in fact ....very confusing to me and the logic defies me.

Well can you own this stuff?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Ever hear of paraphernalia ? Probable cause?
Drive by bayonettings(sp)? ;)
The fact that owning an "auto sear" assembly for an AR-15, and an AR-15 is prima-facie (sp) evidence of owning a machinegun?

Facination is all fine and dandy, but in the current state our country is in, be prepared for the consequences of such curiosity.

Personal opinion don't mean diddley, the laws are what they are until they are changed, and laws are continually proven to be open to interpretation.
Interpretation rarely falls on the side of the accused.
Be careful friend ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
obx22,
Thanks for responding.....but you said,

Personal opinion don't mean diddley, the laws are what they are until they are changed,
That's my problem ....what is the law?.....and does it answer my question?.............I'm not trying to be funny.......I'm quite serious.

Please help me on this one if you can :)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
sonny,
I'm trying not to sound like a jerk, so don't read it that way...ok?
Items like.....folding stocks,bayonet lugs,flash supressors, and other evil featured items
Provided you are not in violation of any Local, or State ordinances, I know of no Federal law preventing a non-felon from owning such items, however as I stated above, owning the above items and a firearm could be construed as "intent" to do something "bad"(Even worse if said firearm is post ban).

Example of interpretation:
Down here I can wear a pistol on my hip long as its visible and I'm not in an area where its unlawful to carry a firearm...YET...
If someone complains 'bout seeing (Theres this guy with a GUN!) me with my pistol, and mind you I don't have to be brandishing it in any way, I could still be charged with "Bringing a firearm to the terror of the public".
INTERPRETATION
:(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
obx22,
You don't sound like a jerk to me at all:) ....I thank you for responding to my question and I respect your stance on the interpretation thing.
I'm a handgun kinda guy and pretty much into punching holes in paper but I am also getting into shooting my 10/22 which I have added to a houge overmolded stock and a nice little weaver rimfire scope.
Please understand that although I am asking SCARY questions I don't intend to press my luck with these items.I really don't see much need for them but I remain interested in the legal aspects of the assault weapons ban as well as many other firearm related laws.
The question I asked has been a topic of disscusion at my local range and I have heard many different answers and I am confused.
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction so I could put an end to the topic.........thats all:)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
sonny,
perhaps perusing this site will answer any Federal questions:
ATF online
You might also check with your local Law Enforcement officers.
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Here's something for you to think about. It shows a bit about how the Government thinks, and is not related to guns at all, but you might find it interesting.

Several years ago..(remember Smokey and the Bandit and all the old CB movies?) when everybody had a Citizens Band Radio, it was perfectly legal to own a CB radio. It was also perfectly legal to own linear amplifier. Here's the catch. If you got caught with both of them on the same piece of property, you best have your things in order cause youze goin' DOWN! They figured if you owned both and had them on the same property, you were going to break the law. They base their decisions on what they think you will do if they turn their back. (Most of the time, they are right!)

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.