Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I'm thinking about having the trigger group/reciever and barrel of my 10/22 powder coated, has anyone tried this? will it work?

any input on this one is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Powdercoating

I have been thinking about this because I can't find anywhere in the whole Northeast part of Wisconsin that will anodize gun parts.
I did talk to a guy about it and his concern was that the thickness of the coating may be too thick for the allowed tolerances. He would do all the preping and coating for $45. He said that they plug all holes and would only coat the outside.
If I don't find an anodizing house soon, this is what I'm going to do.
Brian

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean "too thick for the allowed tolerances"?

I'm thinking of pulling the gun out of the stock, putting something in the barrel, pulling the bolt out, and taping the space from the inside of the reciever, pull the guts out of the trigger and put it back in and then take it to him.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I dont think the powder would be a problem with tolerances.
It's not like you're powder coating the slide and rails on a match grade 1911.
There isn't anything that fits tightly as long as you arent coating the internals.
If the stuff is too thick though, just sand it off to fit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It can be done but powder coat paint is a very fine powder and will get anywhere you don't want it if your not careful. You need silicon plugs to plug the holes and special fiberglass tape to mask large areas due to the temprature the powder has to be baked to cure it.
They have some wild colors to pick from on the Eastwood site.
Ten ring

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Allowed tolerances"

I'm not sure what he meant. The guy advised me to find an anodizing shop. He said that he had done quite a bit of paintball gun work, but thought that hard chrome would be a better finish than he could do.
I think he meant that the pins and threaded holes may be really tight, but if they are taped off or plugged it shouldn't be a problem.
I only want the receiver and the trigger guard finished. I think I'll try to put the pieces together and have it powdercoated as one piece. I've spent two days calling and following up every lead I can on hard chrome. I found a place that does it, but the guy there said that it is illegal for them to do firearm parts. I think he's FOS. Have you heard this before?
Anyway, I think I'm going to have to go with powdercoating.
Brian

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If you are looking at Industrial Hard Chrome as an alternative for a finish you might also look into Electroless Nickel. It is a process that is much more uniform in coverage. The Hard Chrome coating is second only to diamonds in surface hardness but EN is more durable because it is not as brittle. Robar NP3 coating is a refined and proprietary form of EN coating designed for heavy use firearms. They are however a bit cost prohibitive for a 10-22. There is a company that sells the home brew process. Give it look.

http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=32

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/electroless.htm

http://www.hobbyplating.com/EN.htm

·
Registered
252 Posts
Consider Parkerizing for some do-it-yourself finishing, and specifically Heavy-Duty Parkerizing that phosphates and nickels for extra durability of the finish and corrossion resistance the parts in one easy process. It bonds aggressively just like Moly-Fusion: a product highly reviewed thus far at RimFireCentral. I happen to have a highly recommended product - much better than homebrew - from another forum as better than the rest by customers. Shooter Solutions' home page for the Parkerzing description, instructions, etc. is at: shootersolutions/parkerizing.html Or click on "Parkerizing" from the home page.

Another option on the thread of epoxy, is of a rust-inhibiting and adhesive undercoat to "thermo-set" epoxy as well: Instead of de-watering and oiling, it is boiled in water and pre-baked in an oven first, to remove all traces of acid, unadhered iron, and hydrogen.

While it has been talked about on the quoted forum before, there is on this forum, from this month (2-03-03):
I just used the shooter solutions dark manganese kit this past week. I parkerized a bunch of Garand parts and they came out perfect. I've never parkerized anything before. It was damned quick too. Less than five minutes for a stripped Garand receiver. The other parts were done even faster. They turned out a nice even greyish black. It looked like a match to my new DSA type II receiver when held side by side. In fact the finish was a dead ringer for the finish on a brand new out of the wrap 1950 Springfield Garand barrel. ... Prep all the parts properly and you will be pleased with the results.
Another asks:
Some people seem to be saying that your mag solution results in a darker finish than Brownells ...
Another customer said:
Just for reference...
Shooters Solutions makes a very nice product.....
My parts turned a beautiful dark charcoal color, enough to match my newest STG from DSA( that's NEW and unused...)
I used the mag park and will try the Zinc at a later time just to see how it works....
very good results from a Novice, means a very good product...
threadid 63155, FALFiles.
I don't know the hotlink but Ref. ID is supplied.

·
Registered
35 Posts
powdercoating

Just recently talked to a guy who owned a powdercoating shop. He explained that powder coating can be done in varying thicknesses depending on what the customer wants. I would think that as long as you didn't want the coating too thick, then tolerances should not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, I took it over today, should be ready to pick up tomorrow or the next day, I can't wait. I talked to the guys on the phone the more we talked the more excited I got about it. They are tellling me that it's about as thick as paint, which will be fine. I went with a 60% matte black finish, I want to check this one out and then maybe the next one I'll get creative and go with a cool blue or something.

I'll let you guys know and post pics the minute I get it re-assembled.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rimfire Junkie said:
Strat, ya didn't want the Tie-dye powder coat??? Looks reallly cool.

Get my stuff done for a 12 pack slipped to the line operator :D
:D

the Jimi Hendrix signature 10/22 :D

you're killin' me man..

this guy is cheap enough that's for sure, he's charging me 35 bucks, I have no problem spending that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.