Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the major US rimfire producers use the same powder and primer compounds in their whole line up w/ only changes to projectile type and weight? Or do they load with all the same complexity of componants as w/ centerfire rounds? Mac :t :yeahthat:

·
Registered
487 Posts
As with most calibers, powder usually changes in one way or another, whether it be grain size, surface area, or percentage chemicals in the powder. Generally, most powders being used now are a mixture of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine (AKA smokeless powder). I believe that powders with a higher concentration of nitroglycerine burn slower, so that may also be controlled to help increase/decrease speed. Grain size is also important, with the smaller grains burning faster becuase of the higher surface area.

As for primers, I believe that most manufacturers use the same basic composition, but with variations in the amount used. IIRC, the powder is based on a lead syphanate mixture, which I think is considered a low explosive, but wouldnt be suprised at all to find out it is a high explosive (one gram of priming compound literally explodes without any kind of confinement. Compare this to gun powder, which in the same amount just flares up).

Im a little tired, and I havent gone over this stuff in a while, so I may be a little off on a few things, but sorry in advance. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.