Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Possible Crack in Receiver

852 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Thom
First time poster here.

I have been lurking here for months and picked up a used 10/22 to start my build. I was stripping the paint off the receiver today and noticed a crack. I am guessing my build has hit a stopping point, but thought I would see what the experts thought.

The crack was not visible with the receiver in the stock and painted.

It does not appear to go all the way thru the wall either.

Thanks for reviewing the picture.

I am planning on having a local gunsmith look at it, but he is out for the next week or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
I sent one back in to ruger a couple years ago. real close to the same prefix # Mine had been caused by shooting stingers without a buffer in place, at least that was what I got from the previous owner who had gotten it that way. I sent it in bare, just the receiver, they charged me 35 bucks for a new replacement with a current SN. they scraped the old #.

Do not have that crack welded. It will be considered to have altered sn's and can get you in an orange jumpsuit quick.

· Registered
413 Posts
That same crack can often happen when stubbing/snagging in a doorway or falling down while holding tight to the rifle. It happens more often that you might think. Ruger will make good on it, call first, but then you can send it to them and they will replace it for minimal cost. Don't mess around trying to repair it, just let them make it right and move on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.