Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 7 years of use on my 10/22, my Volquartsen bull barrel has a textured appearance on the face where the barrel meets the bolt (my guess is due to powder fouling creating a textured surface then when the bolt slams forward it leaves a imprint). My question is this: Will this deformation of the face deform the chamber? The reason I ask was the last time I was at the range (100 yds, indoor underground tube) I had flyers all over the place. I assumed the barrel just needed cleaning but I never took it back to the range since then to verify. I just happened to notice this on the barrel face recently upon a full teardown of my gun.

Any input?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
my barrel has the same thing, and it is only about 4 months old. the tiny little dents are exactly what you said, they are from the bolt slamming into the barrel. the barrel is thick on that end though, and i dont think you have to worry about it deforming the chamber or sending it out-of-shape or anything.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Marks on the face of the barrel where the bolt pounds on it with dirty powder is the nature of the beast with stainless 10/22 barrels. Blue steel 10/22 barrels don't seem have the same problem. Stainless barrels in general seem much more susceptible to damage from my experience. I would not think the chamber would be damaged from this action. If this gun instantly opened up it groups I would give the barrel a good cleaning and check scope, scope mounts ect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.