Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made mine out of a black and decker workmate. Just cut a peice of plywood the size I wanted and screwed a 1" x 1" board to the bottom of the plywood so the workmate would close on it. Nice and portable and also handy around the shop for an extra table.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go to accurate reloading forums and look under banchrest shooting,there is some good info there with links to pics and drawings,also look at build it yourself .com there are pics there also,I dont know how to post so that all you have to do is click on it and it takes you there so you will have to go there yourself,hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Justsaymo,
Check this one out. I don't think it'd be too hard to build one like it. You want one with 3 legs not 4.
Ten times easier to keep it from rocking unless you're on perfectly ground. Bill

·
Registered
348 Posts
I made me a bench using the Workmate method mentioned above, but found it to have a little too much shake to it. A few C-clamps added to help firmly attach the top to the Workmate made things a lot better. I also have to place a shim under one of the workmate legs to get things evened out. The local Home Depot has some metal pipe in the plumbing section that has fixtures that could mount to the bottom of the table top and allow them to be screwed on for a tripod support. My only problem with this idea was they did not come in the length I needed. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
829 Posts
Re: Mutwagn

REDTIP17 said:
Mut,
I missed that one completely> here you go. http://www.varminthunters.com/centerpunch/ ;)
Thank you, I was curious after nothing was listed.:D
I like that style of stand also. Shooting Times had a set of plans for one about 20 years ago that is similar, I made and still have one.
It used 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together with liquid nails.
You use one piece of plywood 3'x4', and cut both pieces out of that sheet. The cut down the center, it ain't straight, makes both sheets exactly alike, and you trim off one more piece, so that when you glue the two pieces together, it will be a right or left hand bench.
Once you glued your plywood together, you coat it with marine/outdoor urethane.
Each of the three legs is made from a piece of 1 1/2" conduit, 36" long, threaded on one end.
Your legs are each attached with a 2"x4" plate 1/4' thick to which you weld a a pipe coupling that has been cut at an 80* angle. Bolt each plate to the two front corners and the center rear with carrige bolts. Drill the four holes in each plate befor you weld the coupling on.
It is stable because of the three legs and the weight of the two pieces of 3/4" plywood. But this is not a bench you want to tote around forever. But if your buddys' uncle has a farm he lets you go shoot at, it's a good one to haul in the back of a pickup, and set up where it is needed.
If any one wants me to, I can email a picture of the top, and I'll try to post measurements for the top, to make the cuts with, later when I get home from work.
If I wanted something lighter now, I would be tempted to make it from 1 piece of 3/4" and brace it with aluminum channel or angle. Also the legs could be made from 1 1/2" aluminum conduit.
Andy

·
Registered
106 Posts
I made mine out of a 2x4 card table (20.00) from the local store. It already has folding legs on it. It was very simple to do. I basically cut out a notch out of the table (removing almost 1/4th of the table, (1/2 of half of the table)). This allows me to sit in the area where the removed removed part is, use 1/4th as an elbow/buttstock rest and use the other 1/2 of the table for the front of the gun, etc. The rear legs were moved slightly.

scottMO

·
Registered
636 Posts
I built the "Booger Bench" out of a folding banquet table I bought at Staples. It is a 4 leg table but I haven't had a lot of trouble with it rocking. If it isn't stable I just push it down into the dirt until it levels. It's light enough to carry but I wouldn't want to pack it miles. I've only got about $45 invested and I bought everything new.
Search under Booger Bench and you'll find it.
KC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.