Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Polished Receiver Coating

1005 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Rick-F
Well after stalking around here for a while, I broke down and bought a Henry Frontier. Orderd a separate receiver and barrel band unfinished and polished to a chrome like finish. I am ready to coat the receiver and barrel band to prevent oxidation and retain the look. I ordered some of the Brownell's Clear Metal Epoxy Coating. Does anyone see a problem using this on the Zamak cover?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
569 Posts
I coated one a couple years ago and it still looks great today. Instead of laying the paint heavy, I applied something like three or four "mist" coats...about five minutes apart and let it dry for a day. I then used automotive POLISH to smooth it down good then applied automotive wax.

If you get the clear on too thick it's going to have a slight gold tint to it. Try misting......If it doesn' work out well, it's easy to get it back off! I have just never used Brownells paint. I used Top Coat.

· Registered
45 Posts
what will remove the factory paint? is the bare metal fairly smooth under the thick paint?
I bought one used a while back but the cover was a mess. Supposedly some nail polish remover was spilled on it. I had a local machine shop bead blast the paint off.
I'll probably just repaint it as it shows quite a few crecent shapped marks that look like they came from a milling machine.

· Registered
436 Posts
why bother stripping

why strip it? i just scuffed em with some 200. used high quality rattle can paint. alot of them come with clear already in them. misted a first coat. wait a few minutes and shot em with 2 lite coats. i left the screws factory for a contrast look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.