Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the 17 HMR ammo. A 17 grain bullet CCI at 2,550 fps. and the 22 Magnum 30 grain bullet at 2,200 fps.

I have been comparing the charts. Now normally I am not a chart kind of guy. But I believe in the rimfire rifles they have a pretty good grip on what is going on.

I was looking for some data on the two loads at approx. 150 yards. I have found a good bit of data on the 2 cartridges. But the factory only lists the information out to 200 yards. They compare pretty close at 100 yards. The 17 is a tad bit flatter, and the 22 magnum has a tad bit more energy at 100 yards.

I understand the basics about the heavier bullet in the 22 magnum versus the lighter 17 grain bullet in the 17 HMR.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen any data on the two rounds when doing a comparison past 100 yards?? When comparing the two for killing efficacy on WV Ground Hogs.

All of my 22 magnum ammo is the older 40 grain stuff around 1800-1900 fps. This new 30 grain 22 magnum at 2200 fps looks pretty intriguing. What do you guys think about the faster 22 magnum?? And then the two compared?? Anybody know where there is any data at distances past 100 yards?? Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have any data but I do have an opinion.

I prefer the .17 to the 22mag overall, but a case can be made for both rounds. I shoot 20 grainers out of my .17 at roughly 2400 fps. Wonderfully accurate and packs a decent punch.

Where the 22 mag really shines is the availability of so many different loads for different tasks.

I'm hoping the 5mm really takes off to further muddy the waters. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
My friends and I shoot Yellow-bellied Marmots with both the 17HMR and the .22 mag. I have the 17 and a couple of friends have the 22 Mag. I believe that the 17 shines at being flat shooting, very accurate and doesn't ricochet much. The .22 mag has a bit more punch. I like the 17 because of the flat shooting and accuracy--it is more flat shooting and accurate than the .22 mag. Ammo is a bit cheaper for the .22 mag. It's kind of a toss up depending upon where you are shooting--ranges etc. If you shoot over about 125 the 17 will be better for hitting what you are shooting at. If you are shooting small targets I believe it is also better. If you really want more knock down then the .22 mag is probably better. The problem is that the .22 mag has more punch at longer ranges but it is more difficult to hit things at those ranges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.