Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out a used rifle yesterday and this little Annie caught my eye. Shows its age but looks to be in pretty good condition. The wood caught my eye first, and when I saw the Anschutz name my curiosity was piqued. I'm wondering if it's maybe a long lost and forgotten little gem of a plinker that I might pick up cheap to keep at the cabin for weekends in the woods. The description:

Bolt action, single shot. Other than the bolt handle, the bolt, receiver, and barrel are stainless (for lack of a better description - almost looks more like chrome or nickel, but maybe I'm just used to matte stainless, and this is more glossy). I'm guessing the stock is Birch, because it has a very similar grain to my Romanian M69 stock that somebody told me was Birch. Oddball extractor that's sort of a half-moon that matches up flush with the bottom of the breechface, pulls back when you open the bolt, closes up flush with the breechface under what feels like spring tension when you close it. The receiver, opposite side from the bolt handle, and on the side (not the top) appears to be D&T for maybe a scope mount - two small holes with plug screws near the front, and two near the back, of the receiver.

On the barrel, opposite side from the bolt handle, "Cal. 22 Long Rifle Rimfire-Combination". On top of the receiver where it meets the barrel, the familiar Anschutz logo. On the side of the receiver, opposite the bolt handle, the Eagle over N stamp (I only recognize how to articulate this because I did a search and saw some posts that seem to describe a similar rifle), with what I think is a "62" below it, and beyond that, another unrecognizable stamp and another Eagle over N stamp. On the barrel, same side as the bolt handle, "JG Anschutz Gmbh Waffenfabrik Ulm/D. Germany". On the receiver, just forward of the ejection port, what looks to be a serial number, 382XXX.

The bore looks good. Seems to function just fine. The one item missing - the back sight, sort of a buckhorn thing on a blade that adjusts for elevation via something that slides under the blade - there is no "something that slides under the blade". While I don't see an empty screw hole or dovetail, I'm thinking that some little part is missing (the blade has holes that I'd expect to index elevation as a slider with a nub slides underneath and notches into those holes). As mentioned, the exterior wood and metal shows its age, but it's in fairly decent condition. On the barrel crown, a few spots almost look like bits of finish are flaking off, but this doesn't appear to touch the inner edge of the crown, so I'm thinking it may not be a problem.

I only snapped a few photos (a guy at the shop let me take pictures, but then the owner saw me snapping away and said no photos). Some of these photos are crappy, thanks to my crappy camera, but I thought I'd throw them all out here:

So can anybody tell me what this little rifle is? Maybe a bit of history? A rough idea of what it might be worth, and whether it would make a good weekend woods plinker (provided it's as functional as it looks, that is). In general, I know nothing about Anschutz other than the general topnotch reputation that everybody knows. All worldly wisdom and sage advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I think this is some better pictures of the gun you are looking at
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103107961

I saw this gun listed a while back and although I am far from an expert on Anschutz but I do not think there were any Annies with Stainless Steel barrels from thattime frame. I think some one has just sandblasted the metal as it shows some pitting on the end. Maybe some of the other fellows will chime in.:D

·
Registered
15,166 Posts
As in most businesses,the money is in the used stuff.I doubt if the dealer has more than $20 in something like this.While I don't recall seeing one of these in person, I suspect that the barrel finish is nickle plating.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did seem odd to me that a rifle as old as this one seems to be, would have anything other than a blued finish. And as my first post mentioned, at the crown there's a spot or two where it looks like the finish may be flaking off. It does have that just-off-stainless hue that could be nickel. Beats me, but I'll bide my time until the next undiscovered gem comes along.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.