Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellas', I've lurked around this forum long enough to know that the CZ is the rifle for me!! Now I just need to decide which one. I plan on using my rifle to squirrel hunt and playful ( but accurate) plinking. I will probably mount a Simmons 22 Magnum scope - 3-9 x 32 (I got one for Christmas).

I can't say that price isn't an issue, but I don't mind spending extra for a model that will get the job done better. This rifle will be with me for a long time to come, so I want to choose carefully. Help me out guys, I have "fondled" a CZ Special at a local gun store. But, I have never fired any of the CZ's. Your comments will be appreciated!!

Mike in TN

·
Registered
327 Posts
If price is an issue, buy the standard (special, also called trainer). It has a great set of iron sights and will shoot well. At a later time you can always buy an aftermarket stock to spruce it up if you wish.

I have an American in .17. I have mounted a Simmons Aetec 3.8-12X40 AO and am putting a new quilted maple stock on it.

I am probably going to buy a .22LR this summer. If I do it will be the standard model. Then I can always upgrade the stock later also.

All of the models are fine shooters. The difference between the Standard and Lux is just the type of wood, the Lux being turkish walnut and the Standard being beech. The Varmint has a heavy barrel which some people prefer and lacks iron sights, and the American has 2 action screws, lacks iron sights and has an american sporter stock.

Take a look for yourself here:

http://www.cz-usa.com/_p/p04.php

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just get the 452 Varmint and consider...

yourself lucky! :D After you've made that decision, we'll discuss scopes, rings, and bases.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, so far I have an American, a special, a varmint, and I just got an ultra lux last night.
Its hard to set here and tell you which is the better rifle and most of the time its hard to tell which is the most accurate out of the bunch (excluding the ultra lux cause i havent fired it yet).
Im a die hard squirrel hunter too and Im guessin youll want to put a scope on this rifle.
I would probably suggest the american or (classic) as their sometimes called.
With this setup you get a walnut stock which is groved for most american style rings with an american style stock that is (IMHO) better suited for a scope- please no flames, all my others have scopes too its just my preference.
I havent heard of a cz so far that wasnt a SHOOTER so above all pick the one you like and go for it. You wont be sorry:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are going to be using a scope for your primary sighting, go with the American. Vice-versa for iron sights.

I recently aquired a CZ American. Here is an example of what you can expect from a totally stock rifle (Two 5 Shot Groups). I used a Bipod and a 6-18x Simmons Pro-Air. The ammo was BAB Remington Target ammo. Not bad, it will be better after I install Brooks' trigger kit and use a benchrest and proper bags. Better ammo should help too.:t

·
Registered
820 Posts
mikefntn

I have several and if could only have one, and was going to scope it.....It would be an easy choice for me.....The American.
Light, quick, feels good with a scope, sleek good looks..... there's more reasons but that wasn't the question.
IMO.....The American, hands down, is the better rifle for everything but maybe shooting from a bench.....then I guess the Varmint "Might" be considered.....but then that's what it was designed to do.....heavier weight and wider forestock to ride the bags better.....BUT, the Varmint isn't any more accurate than the American, go figure. But, even for Bench shooting, I personally would rather have the American. But that's another subject.
IMO.....For an economical rifle, The Scout is the Ultimate Squirrel rifle, and if I were going use a scope, I would pick it hands down over the Special.
IMO.....The only way the Special/Lux shines is with Iron Sights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.