Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new (to me) precision 10/22 with a lot of unknowns. S/N shows the rifle was originally sold in 1995 as a carbine and has obviously been upgraded. Seller knows nothing about rifle's history. I've narrowed it down to a Volquartsen stock, unknown VQ style scope mount, trigger work or replacement trigger (breaks at just under 2#) and 22" aftermarket barrel that I can't identify. Here are a few pics.
TIA
Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Landscape Air gun
Wood Motor vehicle Trigger Rolling Landscape

Only marking on the barrel;

Netbook Automotive exterior Hood Office equipment Wood

I know not barrel related but...trigger assy...only marking on trigger housing. I'm guessing factory Ruger trigger housing with internal upgrades. Hammer doesn't appear to be factory.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Revolver

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Send a picture and an email with sn #to VQ. They are very responsive .
Got a response first thing this morning! (y) Unfortunately he couldn't tell me a whole lot other than it wasn't something they built. Yes, their scope mount and target hammer. I asked if he can identify the barrel or stock...we'll see what he comes back with. The barrel is what's got me most curious. I can't even find a listing for a 22" bull barrel anywhere, by anyone.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
The barrel is what's got me most curious. I can't even find a listing for a 22" bull barrel anywhere, by anyone.
Green Mountain has listings for 24” and 28”; I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered a 22-incher, once upon a time.

Or maybe whomever built it started with a 24-incher and shortened it? Weirder things have happened…

· Premium Member
12,088 Posts
Got a response first thing this morning! (y) Unfortunately he couldn't tell me a whole lot other than it wasn't something they built. Yes, their scope mount and target hammer. I asked if he can identify the barrel or stock...we'll see what he comes back with. The barrel is what's got me most curious. I can't even find a listing for a 22" bull barrel anywhere, by anyone.
The days when his dad ran the show are clouded in time. But whats the chance that someone d&t d an un branded barrel to put a VQ scope mount on it?
The only other possibility is that its a Clark Custom. They build fine guns, and use a wierd variety of other peoples parts.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The days when his dad ran the show are clouded in time. But whats the chance that someone d&t d an un branded barrel to put a VQ scope mount on it?
The only other possibility is that its a Clark Custom. They build fine guns, and use a wierd variety of other peoples parts.
I agree on the barrel but I can only go by what I'm told. I might check with them (Clark). Thanks. I'm pretty much just resigned to not knowing which is OK. What really matters is how it shoots...which I will find out here shortly.
;)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Green Mountain has listings for 24” and 28”; I wouldn’t be surprised if they offered a 22-incher, once upon a time.

Or maybe whomever built it started with a 24-incher and shortened it? Weirder things have happened…
All they show that long on their website is stainless and no GM markings on the barrel. If it was cut, it was done in the white by a professional because the crown hasn't been re-blued and it's a very nicely done recessed crown.

· Premium Member
12,088 Posts
What did you do in 1995? Today’s website wont have anything to do with then. I have a Brown Precision Custom Team Challenger. Circa1992, Shilen supposedly made the Barrel , VQ supposedly did the trigger, Brown made the stock, kevlar and fiberglass , @nd assembled . Small companies only keep records for as long as required. And that and what is limited to 7 years for most stuff, and for serialized items , ffl studf thats prolly all paper back then,
Even today, i bought an HM2 1022 barrel from Sarco, no name on it, someones over run, and passed thru many brokers hands before Sarco got them. Shoots great!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What did you do in 1995? Today’s website wont have anything to do with then. I have a Brown Precision Custom Team Challenger. Circa1992, Shilen supposedly made the Barrel , VQ supposedly did the trigger, Brown made the stock, kevlar and fiberglass , @nd assembled . Small companies only keep records for as long as required. And that and what is limited to 7 years for most stuff, and for serialized items , ffl studf thats prolly all paper back then,
Even today, i bought an HM2 1022 barrel from Sarco, no name on it, someones over run, and passed thru many brokers hands before Sarco got them. Shoots great!
I get that things have changed. I have no idea when this rifle was converted. Might have been when new in '95, might have been a year ago. I don't assume anything.
Research is usually a process of elimination...start with the lowest hanging fruit, work your way up. Today, that would be the internet which is why I joined this site and made this post. ;)
If this was a commercial/custom build of some sort, they may buy barrels from any one of many barrel makers, in bulk with, no markings. Just very hard to know at this point. I appreciate your input. (y)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts