Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To this day I cannot figure out how people grade the blue on older rifles. To me 95% means that it's original, deep blue, with just a few scratches, but I can't tell the difference between 98%, 95%, or 90%. How does surface rust or minor pitting affect the % grading?

Could someone please post a couple of pictures of what a 95%, 90%, and 80% rated barrel should look like.

...or explain it in simple terms. I am so confused. :boohoo:

Thanks

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Well I dont have any pictures but I'll try to help you here. It's an estimate of how much of the original blue is left on the gun. It's not an exact science, its a individual estimate. And yes rust and pitting effect that percentage. 100% would mean there is no wear or scraches in the blue, every inch the the metal is still dark blue with no thin spots or bare metal showing anywhere.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Short of sittin' down w/someone that can show/teach you(and then relying on memory),I'd pick up a Blue Book and look in the front .There is always a section there w/pictures demonstrating the different conditions.

Good luck,
BW

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but here are some NRA standards for rating used guns. I think it's just one of those things to give you an idea of the condition, it's not a scale "set in stone" sort of speak.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/Condition-NRA-Guns.htm

If you say it's 95%. to me that's "Near Perfect". Whereas 80% is "Good", but I should be getting the gun for less money. Just a guide, I guess! Hope this helps.

Gary

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,
I'm getting the general idea that it's somewhat of an arbitrary system. One man's 95% could be anothers 90%.

Here is an example. Please tell me how you would rate this.

Receiver portion of barrel is still fairly deep blue with no scratches. The rest of the barrel, past the stock is well faded, to almost bare metal in some places, with no pitting or surface rust. 80%????

Thanks

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I'll add to the comments above. Some people who rate 95% or better need to have their glasses checked. What they call 95% is what I call 80%. You just need to know the person doing the actual rating and agree with the way he rates a gun. Ask for several pictures of the gun if buying from a dealer or individual out of state or where your planning on buying a gun from someone who you can't actually see and hold the gun in person. Also make sure you can return the gun up to 3 days after you pick it up from your guy with the FFL the gun was shipped to. Of course it will have to be not shot by you and returned in the same condition.

I agree with the above post that a gun that has 95% blue or better should be **** near perfect with a very minor imperfection.

Brad

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"One man's 95% could be anothers 90%."

The 95% is the seller and the 90% is the buyer. :p

Seriously though, it's hard to compare a gun with a few small rubbed spots against a gun with one big worn spot. And which is worse, the bluing rubbed off in lots of little places or lots and lots of very fine scratches?

The example pics in the Blue Book are worth the price of the book (if you get it on sale at Midway or CDNN or somewhere. Heck, just buy last year's.)

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.