Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For "Special" occasions I've got my Anschutz 1710, but I think of that kind of like Mrs. P's fancy dishes and silverware. There's a time and place but not when you're having leftover pizza.

I like to do a lot of plinking and informal target shooting and I don't need the Annie for that. I mentioned in another thread that I've got my Kidd rifle set up now for 20-50 yard offhand shooting and sometimes I'll stick the bipod on there and take it out a bit further.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced accurate bolt gun that I can stick a bipod on and sit on the picnic table to shoot targets out to say 40-75 yards. (Maybe out to 100 occasionally, but at that point I'd probably get the Anschutz out.)

I had a CZ 455 Varmint a few years back and that got me thinking about the 457s and if one of those would fit the bill. My LGS had a 20" 457 Varmint. It seemed like a nice update to what I used to have. Looking at the CZ website, the AT-ONE model could be a winner too, although I'm not sure how crazy I am about either barrel length -- the 16.5 is a little short and the 24 a bit long. Too bad they don't offer that one with the 20". (I know I could buy one, but that's more $$$) I'm curious on peoples thoughts about if there's another model that might be better suited to me.

Like I said looking for something reasonably accurate out of the box. Truth be told my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I'm not as steady as I was 10 years ago so probably and good quality rifle will be as accurate as I am.

From what I can tell none of the 457s include a Picatinny rail, so I'd need to pick one of those up separately, correct?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't have a dog in the hunt but if you can get a chance to actually handle the AT-One do it before you buy it. My preowned Varmint MTR 20.5" was in a Boyd's AT-One stock and I didn't like that stock at all. I bought a new old stock oem CZ/Boyd's AT-One stock cheap and the cheek riser wobbled plus the push buttons to operate it & the adjustable LOP were a bear to operate just like the Boyd's; it just wasn't comfortable at least to me. I finally found a used Varmint MTR stock and it was instant comfort. A few months later I bought a brand new Varmint MTR 20.5" and I highly recommend it. I'm not strapped down to match grade ammo either as both mine shoot Norma Tac-22 extremely accurately followed by CCI SV then Federal Automatch. It shoots RWS R50 the best of anything followed by certain SK's. Good luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get a jaguar--put a good trigger and scope on it and get some RWS R-100 and you should be able to beat anything around for under $1,000; maybe some even more expensive. :giggle:
Wow that one has a looooooooong barrel! If I am running it scoped and not using iron sights is there an advantage to that extra 8-12" of length?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow that one has a looooooooong barrel! If I am running it scoped and not using iron sights is there an advantage to that extra 8-12" of length?
Well, if you asked the collective wisdom probably 99% would say it does nothing except slow the bullet down. My jaguar shoots like a laser beam and I've seen no dramatic reductions in velocity compared to shorter barrels. I've shot sub-MOA with it out to over 200 yds. Not saying it's better than short barrels--but I sure as heck like it. People knock 'em--but I've never heard of anyone who actually owns one claim they don't shoot well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, if you asked the collective wisdom probably 99% would say it does nothing except slow the bullet down. My jaguar shoots like a laser beam and I've seen no dramatic reductions in velocity compared to shorter barrels. I've shot sub-MOA with it out to over 200 yds. Not saying it's better than short barrels--but I sure as heck like it. People knock 'em--but I've never heard of anyone who actually owns one claim they don't shoot well.
Yeah I know people swear by them. Was just curious if shooting them side by side if I'd find a benefit of the longer one to offset the added hassle of lugging it around :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmmm MTR is something to think about! A bit pricier than the regular varmint but not enough for the Mrs. to scream about.
@GregP74,

For plinking at 40-75 yards, the Varmint MTR might be an overkill. Unless you like the shape of the stock and the Match chamber of the 20.5” MTR barrel.

When the 457 first came out, I traded my 455 Varmint in .22LR for the 457 Varmint MTR. After going through other 457’s, I believe a swap from 455 Varmint to a 457 Varmint would have been the best deal.

I for one don’t like to stack scope on top of rings on top of rail. KISS: 11mm rings on the dovetail to mount a scope. I am partial to BKL rings. Comes in 1-inch and 30mm tube sizes.

Hth, Ed

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Tough question for me to answer. I have 3 457s

Varmint MTR
Varmint
Jaguar

If push came to shove...and all three were going to be taken away from me and I could only keep 1....it would be...drum roll....

The Jaguar. I shoot it Iron Sighted only...but the darn thing shoots great, is a bit quieter but it's fore-end in noticeable smaller than the Varmint and WAY smaller than the MTR...and it has a threaded barrel.

I have yo-dave trigger springs in all three. The Jaguar has a thinner trigger than the other two (which I like).

Additonally the Jaguar has 12 grooves in the barrel vs 6 in the other two. I don't know why this is or if it is better or worse.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive design Lens

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@GregP74,

For plinking at 40-75 yards, the Varmint MTR might be an overkill. Unless you like the shape of the stock and the Match chamber of the 20.5” MTR barrel.

When the 457 first came out, I traded my 455 Varmint in .22LR for the 457 Varmint MTR. After going through other 457’s, I believe a swap from 455 Varmint to a 457 Varmint would have been the best deal.

I for one don’t like to stack scope on top of rings on top of rail. KISS: 11mm rings on the dovetail to mount a scope. I am partial to BKL rings. Comes in 1-inch and 30mm tube sizes.

Hth, Ed
Ed, you're probably right that the MTR would be overkill. The regular would do plenty well. To be honest at that distance for what I'm doing I'm not even sure I really need the .866 barrel. Something slightly thinner may be adequate.

I'm not crazy about adding the picatinny rails either. I like to keep it simple AND I like my scopes to be as low over the bore as possible. Unfortunately I have a habit of moving scopes between guns and trying different ones out. When you do that you end up with a collection of mounts in different heights and diameters for different guns and the $$$ adds up pretty quick. The Picatinny rail isn't ideal but makes things easier and cheaper in the short term. Down the road if I find the perfect match of gun and scope I can always go with direct mounts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shoot long barrels with peeps I got a Martini 12 with a medium weight 29 inch barrel 50-75 yards is easy the Jag or Trainer should do as well.
I miss the days of shooting the ol' 27" Remington my grandpa gave me when I was a kid. Unfortunately my old eyes aren't what they used to be so I've traded in the irons for optics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure of the style you are looking for, but there is a 457 for sale in the Classifieds that looks like a lot of gun for the money, KRG Stock, Walther barrel, Area 419 rail . . . I don't think you could go wrong with any CZ 457 model or .22LR barrel, and it mostly comes down to personal preference, however, I have slightly greater amount of love for Lilja and Walther drop in barrels for the 457s.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure of the style you are looking for, but there is a 457 for sale in the Classifieds that looks like a lot of gun for the money, KRG Stock, Walther barrel, Area 419 rail . . . I don't think you could go wrong with any CZ 457 model or .22LR barrel, and it mostly comes down to personal preference, however, I have slightly greater amount of love for Lilja and Walther drop in barrels for the 457s.
Wow that looks like a nice rig. Probably overkill for I'm doing buuuuut... something to think about!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts