Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to go out to an island and shoot, it was only about a 10 minute drive and it was free. The last time I was out there I was asked to leave. So I can't go there anymore.

The closest non-club range is about 25 minutes away and you have to pay 10 dollars per visit which is a lot of money for me. It stinks I was shooting my 10/22 at least once a week, now I haven't shot my riffle in over two weeks I'm starting to go nuts just looking at in the corner of my room not able to shoot.

I hear there is a gun club in the town over from me and they have a nice range. But how much does it cost to become a member at a gun club? I have to do something quick. :(

·
Registered
645 Posts
I know your problem, NJ is just as bad.
I go to an indoor range .... 10 bucks an hour, if my wife shoots on a seperate port thats 20 bucks.
Nearest outdoor club is 45 minutes to an hour away and its almost 200 bucks to join and they have some of the dumbest *** rules you could think of (if you want to shoot someone elses firearm you have to fill out a temporary firearm transfer form ahead of time and if you dont the range officer is on the lookout for violators so he can throw them out).
Sorry .... this is turning into a RANT, I'm in a rotten mood today, I should knock down a few beers and go for a walk.:mad:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Try the local Wildlife Management agency. Here in TN the Wildlife Resources folks also have a few public ranges scattered about the state.

The range that I frequent is just such a range, and has 10,13,15 yd pistol stops and 50 & 100 yd rifle stops. The benches are concrete, handicap accessible, and under cover. The range is in a wildlife management area, but is maintained by 2 local shooting clubs.

Often you have access to all kinds of state, and local facilities that you don't even know about.

Try speaking with members of the local police. Our police range is publicly accessible, if you obtain permision.

I personally like the public range, outside of hunting season, because not that many people use it except hunters. Many spring days I can go for 2-4 hours and maybe see 2-4 other people there the whole time. This time of year, you can barely find room to park. Plus it's on a mountaintop, and way too windy for my cold natured taste.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A place to shoot

Another reason for Thanksgiving.
I live in the state of Massachusetts. It is a state that everyone knows has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country. Now, that having been said, I have to say I have 17 shooting clubs within a 15 to 20 minute drive from my home. Some have very elaborate shooting ranges, such as the Smith and Wesson indoor range, others have a simple 50 yard range. But all and all I believe that I am in a very fotunate situation. The club that I do most of my shooting at is about 5 minutes from my home and is mainly an archery club, so I get to do a lot of quiet shooting without the hassle from the big bore shooters. As a matter of fact I can hear them off in the distance at two other clubs in the area. I also have a little piece of heaven in Vermont on which I have my own little shooting range open all the time. I also have a wife of over 40 years who has never once stopped me from enjoying any of my shooting activities. Now as a shooter would you say I have a big reason to be thankful?
Happy Thanksgiving!
DougJr.
P.S. The membership fees range from $35.00 to $150.00 a year. There are some clubs with 50 acres, and some with several hundred acres. These are all at our disposal for hunting and fishing, etc. I also have a 1700 state owned hunting and shooting preserve within 5 minutes from my home. :) :) :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
A place to shoot

Another reason for Thanksgiving.
I live in the state of Massachusetts. It is a state that everyone knows has some of the most stringent gun laws in the country. Now, that having been said, I have to say I have 17 shooting clubs within a 15 to 20 minute drive from my home. Some have very elaborate shooting ranges, such as the Smith and Wesson indoor range, others have a simple 50 yard range. But all and all I believe that I am in a very fotunate situation. The club that I do most of my shooting at is about 5 minutes from my home and is mainly an archery club, so I get to do a lot of quiet shooting without the hassle from the big bore shooters. As a matter of fact I can hear them off in the distance at two other clubs in the area. I also have a little piece of heaven in Vermont on which I have my own little shooting range open all the time. I also have a wife of over 40 years who has never once stopped me from enjoying any of my shooting activities. Now as a shooter would you say I have a big reason to be thankful?
Happy Thanksgiving!
DougJr.
P.S. The membership fees range from $35.00 to $150.00 a year. There are some clubs with 50 acres, and some with several hundred acres. These are all at our disposal for hunting and fishing, etc. I also have a 1700 state owned hunting and shooting preserve within 5 minutes from my home. :) :) :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am the luckiest guy, or at least among them, for places to shoot.

There is a small bore and pistol range about 6 minutes from my door step up in the hills behind my house "in the burbs",

and at my cabin on the lake (two acres with 2 cabins) I have unlimited space for a zillion miles.

Don't leave home without 'em! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Places to Shoot

You should try shooting in the UK. The police are responsible for granting firearms certificates and you have to prove "just cause" for owning a firearm. I am lucky as I have permission for both .22LR and centrefire on 4 different shoots controlling small vermin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.