Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Pistol transformed into Carbine Legal?

338 5
Hello everyone,

I don't know where else to ask this question. Is it legal to transform a single shot centerfire pistol into a carbine by adding my own stock? Is there a barrel length issue? The barrel is only about 10" now. If anyone has info about it or where to ask it I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance :) .
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If its always considered a pistol I do not think there is any problem w/ it.

Will probably look goofy in a carbine stock w/ a ten inch barrel but there should be no legal issues so long as you treat it as a pistol and can legally own pistols.

Note how many carbine kits exist for colts, and even the beretta neos. They don't change from being a pistol though

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
If you are in the US of A the answer is yes as it applies to the action, however the barrel must be 16" long and if memory serves the minimum overall length is 26". I have read that once a handgun is converted to a rifle it cannot be reverted back to a handgun legally(dunno if thats true or not, there were exceptions written specifically for the T/C contender). In addition, I believe it is possible to apply for a manufacturers permit to construct a short barrelled rifle, paperwork very similar to applications for constructing suppressors. If you could contact a class 3 dealer he/she may be able to answer more, or you could go the the BATF website and inquire.
Hope this helps,
warren

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
(M25) If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this
constitute possession of an NFA firearm?
Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length
(and the overall length of the firearm with stock attached is at least 26
inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic
Mauser "Broomhandles" and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the
NFA as collectors' items.
When in doubt, check with the ATF. The above is a quote from the ATF Online Learning Guide http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/index.htm

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Don't secure a stock to any gun with a barrel less than 16" in length - that a FEDERAL OFFENSE!

Same applies with putting a pistol grip onto frame with barrel longer than 16" - still a short rifle. Only if barrel exceeds 16" AND overall length of gun is is > than 26" is it not a short rifle - now is legal.

Doing so creates a short rifle - you can do this with a permit secured by BATF, but without that permit - you are a criminal now.

Silly law to me (making a gun more accurate), but thems the rules, as far as I know. Check first and make sure.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks guys I'll email the batf and see what they say. Probably no, but I'll double check. Was going to make a lone eagle into a carbine if you guys were curious. It's about worthless to shoot off hand with a scope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.