Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have old eyes. Irons are not what they used to be. I put a Burris FastFire on my Ruger MkII, and think that is super-dooper awesome. So now I want to put one on my S&W 2206. Thing is, none of the manufacturers - Burris, Sightmark, Doctor, et al - make a base mount for the 2206.

So, has anyone mounted a reflex dot on their 2206/422/622 series of pistols? If you have, would you share a photo of how you mounted it?

Thanks, y'all!

· Registered
744 Posts
To my thinking the obvious way to do it would be to drill and tap the upper forward portion of the frame above the barrel and install a picatinny rail. One way the rail would be short and forward so the red dot mounts forward of the slide. The other method would be to drill and tap for a rail that extends back over the slide so the red dot is mounted in more of a mid gun location. If I used that option I'd look at also drilling for a pair of precision locating pins so you can remove the rail easily for slide removal while still getting the rail to fit precisely back into place. Thus not disturbing the sight effectiveness.

· Registered
16 Posts
I think the old B-Square mounts are the way to go.

I had the aimtec mount, and it just doesn't seem right. IIRC, it was a pain to field strip the gun with the mount. I had to take the grip/mount off to clean the gun. Another point is that the grip/mount is flat - so you have a grip that is flat on one side and round on the other.

A picture I stole from the net to show the BSquare mount I'm talking about.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I AM I AM I AM!! Even to the point of paying a large sum for such a thing. Don't quite know just how large of a large sum, but right now my only option is to purchase an existing mount (they all cost $45) and then have a local gunsmith modify it and the slide to make it all work ($???). I would really like to have one. Please. Purty Please, even. ;)

· Registered
744 Posts
The slide weight on any .22LR semi is finely tuned to work with the rather light recoil impulse. I suspect that if you mount a red dot, even a light one, on the movable slide that you'll throw off the reliability of the gun's cycling. I strongly suspect that you'd be better to mount a rail or sight to the forward fixed portion of the frame above the barrel.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will the reflex sight take the punishment of riding a slide as it cycles?
It is supposed to. The Fastfire mounts are made to install on the slides of .45acp and 9mm full size handguns, and the literature Burris puts out says something about it withstanding up to 1G forces. I think riding a slide on a .22 would be well within its capabilities.

I did have one mounted on my Walther P-22 for awhile. It was a temporary test, to see if it would work. I JB welded a mount to the slide, and put the FastFire on that, and it cycled using HV ammo. JB weld failed, after a couple hundred rounds, tho, and then I sold the P-22 to fund other guns.

· Registered
68 Posts
IC, that is great to hear! :) I think others will be interested once they see the finished product!

Yes, the Fast Fire will work on the 2206 mounted on the slide (and the 2206 will also)...have info from one friend that did a project along the lines of what IC mentioned having the gunsmith do...and it works fantastic according to the "field" reports. And he is doing some pretty serious "pest" removal with his rig. And the critters are going down with the fast fire equipped 2206. :bthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.