Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. The stock is factory but I refinished it with TruOil. The stock has been glass bedded. It'll shoot into 1/2" at 50 yards but it's really picky about what ammo it likes.

Ron

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Beautiful looking rifle! Do yourself a favor and install the Volquartsen target sear and spring (if the trigger is still stock). That one simple part (installs in 5 minutes) will clean up the trigger real nice. Clean, crisp trigger at about 1.5#. A great investment for under 50 bucks, delivered! :t

· Registered
85 Posts
How many coats of TruOil did you use? I just finish sanded a custom 10/22 stock today and have rubbed in 5 coats of true oil so far. It is just barely starting to take a shine. I'd love for it to come out like yours when finished. That is a sexy rifle.

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kokiak,
I think it was about 12 coats. For the first few coats I'd let the oil dry for 36 hours and then lightly sand it until i was almost back to bare wood. Then use the same procedure but use OOOO steel wood until the gloss was gone for about 3 coats. I let the last three coats build up and when thoroughly dry use a good rubbing compound. Birchwood Casey works fine.
The secret is not to put on another coat until the current coat is PERFECTLY smooth.
Goodluck with your stock and be patient.

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Usually I stay away from the checkering unless it's damaged. If finish is needed in the checkering I use tung oil thinned a little with mineral spirits.
Thanks for the comments guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.