Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know much about the old Remingtons, but just found a 512 and have a couple of questions. First some pics.

The gun is in decent shape. Even though banged up a little, I really like the look of the stock. Does it look like an original stock? If yes, did the factory ever checker these stocks or was this done by an individual? If I read the date code correctly this gun was produced in February, 1941.

Here's another pic of where someone drilled and tapped for some kind of scope mount. The hole is about 1/8" deep. Does being drilled on the side like this at this depth present any safety concern?

While I have my share of super modern 'plastic' guns, guns like this are giving me a renewed appreciation for the craftsmanship of yesteryear!!

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
It appears to me to be an aftermarket stock. The comb is higher in the front and it seems to have more drop at the back and the front is also fluted. I've never seen that style checkering on a Remington and I believe the 513S is the only 51X series that was ever factory checkered. At first glance, I thought it was a slightly reshaped factory stock but in looking at the area right behind the pistol grip, I don't think there is enough material on a factory stock to get that shape. Have you had it out of the stock? There might be some clue on the inletting. Best bet is to get a known factory stock and compare.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Fan of 22s -

I really believe that is a modified factory stock. Just pulled one of my 512's out and took a look. Mine is Jul 1959 vintage (with grooved receiver) but nothing much else changed during the mfg'ing run from 1939-62. Appears your stock has the nose of the comb rounded & shortened slightly, a "flute" added, & a flute or shaping groove from rear of pistol grip partway up along the rear of the checkering. All the basic stock lines look the same and if you follow the bore line rearward, it doesn't appear that your comb is higher than normal. Here's pic of my old 512 with crude highlighting showing where your modifications would roughly be located. I found this old warrior in a pawn shop kinda hiding behind a lot of other beaters. It has apparently been well used but I'd been looking for a grooved receiver and I got this one out the door for under $65. Redoing the stock will have to be another winter project (as if I didn't have enough :eek: ).

Pic -

Close up of mfg date code stamp -

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Nobody,
You may be right, but I also had mine out and if you'll notice, the bottom of the pistol grip is also reshaped. I felt that if that were done, it wouldn't be as "tall" in the area right behind the pistol grip. I was trying to hold mine up in front of the screen and felt the drop was more than Fan's. another thing I noticed is the buttplate appears flat instead of curved. On mine, the wood is flat but the plastic buttplate is curved. Sometimes the angle of a picture can be deceiving so pretty hard to be sure. As I said before, removing it from the stock might show some clues. I did notice the angle of the front of the forearm and distance from the rear sight to the end seems correct and it would be highly unlikely to duplicate that exactly. :confused:
Mine is a B G or Jan. 1960 production... also grooved receiver. I got a good deal (I think $67.50) at an auction several years ago because it was dirty, dusty, grimey, etc., but only about 1/2 to 1 hour of cleaning and I realized I had a real jewel.Dropped in at the local sporting goods store a couple days later and he had one about 75% for $135.... mine cleaned up a good strong 85, maybe 90%. Blueing is a little worn about 1/2" back from the muzzle and on sharper edges and wood is really nice with only very, very minor handling marks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fan of 22s, Great looking rifle, love 512's, yours looks like a modified factory stock to me, have seen some very creative stock modifications out there, had a 510 with a schable( sp?) tip, a Mossberg 46B with a stock so thinned down it looked like a Remington, another Mossberg 51 with some great checking and of course the Mossberg 151m the trained termites got to. :p Enjoy you one of a kind treasure. Looks like it is very happy to find a good home. Olypenn22

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the input.

Nobody, I think your pic probably illustrates pretty well what must have happened.

Olypenn22, you definitely have a cool conversation piece there!:)

After reading all the comments and looking a little closer at my stock, it definitely looks like someone did some 'carving'. While they did not do a bad job, some of the lines where the comb was modified could be a little straighter. The checkering also is a little too 'sharp', I think, to be very old.

grandparem, the buttplate is just as you described on yours, just didn't show in the picture.

Guess I'll have to look for another one, so I can compare stocks! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got a 1948 copy myself. Excellent condition. Gun Show purchase, real cheap price.
It was one of those lucky deals.
As for the hole, drilled and tapped. No real problem with it being there.
However, I have put in a set screw to remedy, the mistreatment of these fine old "beehive" models , by former owners.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got to the range to shoot the 512. I was dialing in a scope on another gun and shot the Remington last that day. It was hot so I didn't experiment a lot. Got this 15 shot group with Federal Bulk at 25 yards from a rest! Since I don't see the open sights as well as I used to, I was very pleased. What a shooter! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.