Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He was in the process of shooting another good score, no doubt. Several of us email shooters have been having a discussion lately about how to hold (or not to hold) a BR rifle. Well, look closely at Ken here. Notice the firm cheek pressure, and the solid contact with the shoulder. It's hard to tell, but he's got a real death-hold on the pistol-grip with that right hand. When you watch him shoot, the rifle moves not-at-all upon firing. I've got a feeling that most rifles will shoot best this way, but it takes a really good shooter to do it. Ken is one of those--he was never out of the top 10 the whole weekend.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
You know, last fall I was fooling around and it seemed that I was getting a miniscually better group when I put an almost white knuckles death grip on my vertical pistol grip on the rifle. Nothing big at all, but overall, it seemed they were straying less..

Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems to me that a deathgrip would reduce the amount of control you exerted over your trigger finger. This is based more on my handgun experience. On the bench I have tried a pistol style grip that uses the off-hand for pressure allowing the trigger hand to relax more. It works well on a few of my rifles on others it doesn't seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Actually, I was exerting the most of the pressure between the inside of my thumb and the big ball of my index finger where the finger leaves the palm of your hand. The other fingers were about the same as always. What you are saying seems to make sense. That is why I was so surprised with my results. It was enough different that I intend to expirement a bit more with it when the weather warms up.

Whatever works is what shape it will take in the end. :D

Ron

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Acting on tips from Pinball and JL, I have begun to manhandle the Click Clack - result, back to back 250-12x's. And it is WAY harder work than free recoil, so many things to keep the same each shot.

My boltguns do not like that technique at all. GG

·
Registered
848 Posts
Atta boy GG!!!!!
Nice shooting.
As you shoot your 10/22 more you should get a feel for the rhythm of it.
Harder than free recoil yes....but will make a better shooter out of you.
I am glad to see you doing so well with a click clack.As you tinker more your x count will probably go up.
Bravo!:D :t

Forester,thanks for sharing the picture of Ken.I got a feeling it was meant for me.
Has given me more hope for it all.
Don Stith said my stock for the NS was shipping today.I'll get my smith to pillar bed it and work the trigger down more.If satisfied with results I'll probably build a 10.5 rifle from a CZ 452.Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, Pinball, I was partly thinking of you, but I've been talking to other folks lately on this subject. And I think we all benefit by watching successful shooters closely and learning from them. Bench technique is a subject that's too often overlooked in our search for better scores. Truth is, you see all kinds of holds at BR matches--from completely free recoil, to holds like Ken above. And you see good scores shot throughout that range. To do well holding a rifle requires a high level of consistency from the shooter--much easier said than done. Then again, to shoot free recoil, you've got to have a 2 oz or lighter trigger, and bag setup becomes critical. Some rifles just won't shoot free-recoil--especially the light sporters. The rifle will usually let you know. I guess there's no right or wrong here--you've just got to find out what works for you and your equipment.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Forester.....

Thanks for the picture.....I've never been to a BR Competion, so thanks again. I have tried the free recoil with my CZ American and I am lousy with it. Only when I hold the rifle tight and as if I were off hand shooting do I ever do any good. My wife is the same way.....I guess it's just the only way we knew how to shoot and it's hard to break the bad habits. I'm just now getting used to shooting off of my Cowan Rest.....I have always used a rolled up jacket and until Rimfire graduated to sand bags. I have learned a Bunch from all of Ya'll, but have a bunch more to learn.
BTW.....that looks like a Cowan Rest Ken is using.....
Red Box? Is he shooting Federal Lightnings?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Manges--it is a Cowan rest. Joe sure makes nice rests. I'm thinking about getting one myself. You can't beat the price, and it goes for a really good cause.

TangoTwo was not shooting Federal. That's Lapua Multimatch he shot. Thank God he wasn't shooting Eley--he'd have beaten us all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My bench style is very much like Ken's. Last year I only shot sporter, shooting a rifle with a two pound trigger pull. My sporter has a very rounded forend such that shooting free recoil would cause the rifle to roll in the bags. Hanging on the rifle was the only option. I shot very good scores with this technique right from the start. I don't use a death grip on the pistol grip (I actually hold it fairly loose) but my cheek is firmly on the stock and I'm putting some pressure on the rifle stop with my shoulder.

I'm having a 10.5 lb rifle built this spring and I'm planning on trying to shoot this rifle with the same technique. If that doesn't work I'll try free recoil. I just feel like I'm actually shooting a rifle when I have contact with it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Forester, thanks for posting the picture. I seldom get to see my best side.

For what it's worth, I like to hang on to a rifle when I shoot. Really haven't tried free recoil with the new rifle. I guess I didn't realize I had a death grip. I do know that if my rifle moves, it means an 8 or 9 at 12 o'clock. My trigger finger is not part of the grip. This rifle has a .7 oz trigger. Not much room there for gripping.

That is a Cowen rest, also new to me. Still have to play with the new toys to see what is going to work best. Also have to learn the rifle and how it reacts to different conditions. I'm shooting old lot Lapua multimatch ultra. The rifle seems to like it pretty well. Shooting in a 10 mph crosswind, the points missed were me missing condition changes.

Ken

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got my Win. back with a new Lilja barrel, and was pretty dissapointed in how it was shooting, a lot of flyers. After reading this thread last night I decided to try holding it instead of free recoil, it just may shoot. I had some flyers but they were the ammo, I aint as lucky as JL with that lot of Wolf MT, Had 4 of em that sounded week and droped to a 6 or 7, the rest were right in there.
I used to could shoot holding the gun before I knew any difference.

Mike Hansen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.