Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps the answer is embedded in prior threads but who has the actual kill numbers to support it? I would consider optimum bullet performance to be somewhere between a FMJ armor piercing bullet and a mortar round (as I intend to eat the squirrels). You know, something that kills but doesn't skin, gut and grind in a single action.

Just purchased a brand new rig along with 9 different bullet combinations...
Remington - CCI - Hornady - Federal with V-Max, Gamepoint, FMJ, TNT, & XTP projectiles. Hoping you guys can save me some trial & error before this years squirrel season.

Question: If bullet performance (for squirrels) ranked #1 and accuracy ranked #2, which one of the above typically performs ahead of the crowd?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
If your gun will shoot them, the Gamepoint's are great for tree rats. The only trouble is Ive seen some rifles that just wont shoot them very well, luckily mine does! Ive also had good luck with the TNT, it tends to mushroom out instead of fragmenting. I shot several last year with the TNT's that were pass throughs, one little hole in and out. If you want to eat them stay away from the poly tip rounds! Unless of course you make nothing but head shots! :t

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well i killed about 30 with the HMR last year. Ive only used Hornady and TNTs. Hornady is more accurate but not enough to make a difference squirrel hunting. TNTs were less destructive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have run out of squirrels to shoot you have done too good of a job. Remember, don't kill all of them. The trick is to control the population but still have enough survive to perpetuate the population. Don't shoot yourself out of squirrels next time, leave a couple of breeders for next years hunt.

brianks2

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I have used both; the hollowpoints and the plastic tip bombs. The HPs do a grand job for less tissue damage. I use the plastic tipped bombs entirely now, and of course, head shots only. I like the effects of the bombed heads. When I used my .22LR for squirrel hunting I used CCI Stingers in my Marlin 60 and had the best kill ratio for .22 hunting.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Same here Hickory:
Hunted squirrels here with a .22 mag and a Hornet also the last 15 year's.
Breaking in a new HMR this year, as well as a barrel and stock on my old 10/22.
It's why this thred cought my eye.
Hunting with a Hornet or .22 Mag teach's you to appreaciate a good head shot in a quick hurry.
Good Luck..
Jed..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use 20gr XTP's exclusivly for squirrels havent had a single one run off wounded
head shots are still the best but a front rib shot behind the shoulders will do the job and not make a mess-exit holes about 3/8"

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think this may be my first ever post....I was lurking trying to decided which scope I should buy for my cz 452, to replace my Bush. Trophy, and came across this thread. I would consider the Eley Subsonic or RWS Subsonic if you are using a .22lr. I live in southern Indiana and went hunting today killed 3 from the same tree within 15 min. I know for a fact two were there when I made the first shot. Subs made be SLIGHTLY less accurate as Standard velocity or High velocity but stealth in my opinion is the key.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
tab812 said:
I would consider the Eley Subsonic or RWS Subsonic if you are using a .22lr.~~~~~ Subs made be SLIGHTLY less accurate as Standard velocity or High velocity
Firstly welcome to RFC!

Not at all disagreeing wth with any of the HMR and .22 mag fans responding here, (it is obvious to me that many here actually get out and hunt, and have for years,) but put me in your std. velocity fan club. I have had great luck with any bullet that either goes in the ear or through the ribs too.

And I think many agree that sub velocity/std. velocity are ever bit as accurate, and even a bit more so than the high velocity rounds. Not including the .17's.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I like the std velocity too, because you dont have to move after the loud report of a mag or hmr. It is to hard to move around the pa woods with the leaves down going swish swish if they are dry, and the squirrels in the gamelands are skittish by then.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
For the .22 I use Eley subsonics for hunting Big HP execellent results with head shots and are the most accurate in my rig.

for the mag I use the WW 40 gr HP as this is the most accurate in that rig and the Headshot is a must. I have only used the mag in late season due to the longer shot distance but if you run into a yote this has the umph to get the job done.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
wellllllllllllllll

early on i used to use a 28 ga or a 410 , now i use a 22lr and which ever eleys it likes but last year i started using the 17/mock 2 in a savage and i really like this round for squirrels so im building me a rifle from a 96 ruger and a green mountain m2 med heavy fluted short( 163/4 inches) barrel for squirrels. i also use a mossberg 42 in 22 short.i use a star or k22 smith pistol in 22 with ely ammo and a 32 cal. muzzle loader.
david

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.