Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sorry--it wouldn't work where I live--the phone book is only a half inch thick--maybe 3/8''!!! Wouldn't stop a .22 Mag. I'm afraid. Good idea with a stack of BIG City phone books though. I've heard 'bout them phone books 3'' thick.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
BWAHaahha : i wonder if the yellow pages soak up more water?

I just tested the theory with a Kansas City Phone book
soaking wet ( 3" thick )
CCI Stinger = out the back.
CCI TNT MAGNUM = Big exit wound
17 HMR = Little exit wound.

Maybe tomarrow - call collect ( use 2 phone books)

Naw ! I stick to KEVLAR balistic panels. = more precise.

CD.

·
Registered
815 Posts
3"! WOW!

Our Springfield/Branson Area book is only 1 3/4"!

:D

I saw a t.v. show that was using "ballistic gel" with bones buried in it to see what the effect of NATO 5.56 bullets were.

I used to use soft "modeling clay" in a home made "trap" to catch .177 pellets @25 ft. They sell clay in "bricks" so it was easy to build a box and line it with the clay.

Dig the pellets out and smooth over the clay.....it was perfect for "in-door" air gun shooting and seeing how the different pellet shapes reacted.

A 800fps "heavy" Beeman "Ballistic Tip" would penetrate about 3/4"

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ski speaking of solid medium backstops I've used a few indoors over the years, my favorite has to be the big hunk of lead though. It just sort of absorbs/splashes whatever you shoot at it within reason (at the time I was testing smokeless powder muzzloading guns.) Then melt it back down when it gets ratty, good as new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I havent done any tests in a while but since I work at a state agency and they just replaced all the phone books I have a supply available. I try to pick some up. In the past I have used a newspaper end roll the I cut in half with a "S" cut. Then put plumbers putty in the tube and wrap it with rope. This has standed up to 44magnums with this method. Hollow point really expand in this stuff, it is a lot more dense than any animal though.

Ill try to get the phone books today and see what happends with them this weekend.

Frag_Magnet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.