Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some information on installing pep sights on a 10/22 to teach my son marksmanship sight pictures. I learned many years ago but due to the poltical times I have waited until he turned 7 to start. (By the time I was 5yo I had my own single shot. 1961)

The reason I decided on the 10/22 is that I have a youth stock which can be replaced as he gets older.

I'm open to inputs and suggestions if someone has a better idea.

Thanks,

BIllw

·
Registered
632 Posts
I like your thinking

Altough I'm not a huge advocate of teaching someone on a autoloader, I did shorten a stock and put a peep sight on a 10/22 for my 9 yr old son 5 years back. The peep REALLY helped and he was routinely pushing juce boxs and soda cans around at 40 yds in no time. Latter on , I replaced the stock and he was still in great shape. The peep realy shines on that shrt barreled gun.

btw, The peep I installed was the $30 unit from Cabelas. Not Williams quality but very functional . My buddy just put one on his 22" Wallmart 10/22 as well.

hth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peep SIght on 10/22

Big Mike,

I went with your suggestion.

Wee Honnker,

I understand your concern and I have been thinking about this long and hard. I will be starting him off one round at a time. I just purchased several Mags ane will pin them so that they will only hold one round.

In addition the reason that I decided to go with the 10/22, my son is of small statue and since the 10/22 is light plus I have a shortened youth stock that he can use now then in a few years I can replace it with the adult model. If he should lose intrest and I pray not, I will have another toy for myself. How ever the method to my madness is that if he goes with me to the range then I get to go to the range more often and it is quality time together.

I'll keep you guys posted as to how it works. THe only mod that I will moke to the williams sights is to have 2 slots cut on the front sight to allow for the use of a sight hood.

Billw

·
Registered
264 Posts
Peep sights................

I have a set of "Eagle" peep sights on a 10/22. They come like the one in the photo earlier in the thread and the front unit is a tunnel with changable elements.

They were about $30 and I have been very pleased with them.

Good luck.

English.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jaywalker

Yes, that looks about right.

However I thought that the front was a tunnel capable of changing elements?

I'll check when I get home and PM you some time I still have the packet in my reloading bench so I'll see if I can find a serial or part no.

Regards,

English.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a question about these kinds of sights.

I know that with tang sights you can readily change elevation for shooting at various distances with a click adjustment but looking at the photos of these 10/22 peep sights they do not appear to be adjustable much beyond 100 yards.

Do any of you here know if these peeps are click adjustable and to what distances.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Not Micrometer Adjustable Sights

Henderson,

All of the sights being discussed are 'plinking' type sights, and require a screw be loosened to move a slide.....! ! :eek:

If you start talking micrometer adjustable sights, you are in the $60. to $75. range for just the rear...! ! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kids, and 10/22 Peep sites

Howdy
I have a 10/22 with a set of the Eagle/Zepher sights. I just love the rear site. Real similar to the old M1 carbine I had. Not crazy about the front site, but it does work well. Have used this gun and sites for Firearms Safety Training class for a number of years now.

I can tell you all, from many years teaching experience, youth and new adult shooters all "graduate" beyond the bolt action single shot real quick. Usually in about 3 boxes of shells, and most shooters will be ready to move onto different things.
Good luck
Wyo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.