Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you give me a comparison of the two sights? I am interested in speed and ease of target acquisition, and also accuracy. I am interested in mounting them on a Savage 22/410 for squirrel hunting? My main concerns are will the peep sight let me locate a moving target quickly enough to use the 410, and is the ghost ring accurate enough for the 22. Which would you choose? Why? Thank You.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The peep and ghost ring are at opposite ends of the spectrum of aperture sights. With a peep, particularly one for target shooting, your view is significantly blocked outside the small 0.050 aperture. There are apertures that go up to about 0.125 for a typical receiver peep sight. There are also variations in the size of the aperture surround. At the other end there is the ghost ring. The surround is much smaller - perhaps only 2x the diameter of the aperture and it will appear to be a semi-transparent ring when sighting hence the "ghost ring".

Your brain, when confronted with any aperture, will tend to look straight through the brightest part, the center, and thus assure fairly good accuracy as the alignment of the ring with the front sight is easy and mainly subconcious. Compared to a notch sight most people have much less vertical dispersion and are able to sight more quickly. I would have to assume that a target peep would have an accuracy advantage over the ghost ring based on the smaller aperture but that might be incorrect. I am not sure if there is any speed advantage but would assume it would go to the ghost ring. Another aspect of the ghost ring is that it does not obscure your periferal vision or even significantly block the center of your vision. The ghost ring is also brighter. These would be an advantage in any field situation.

Many people create a ghost ring from a peep by removing the aperture and looking through the ring formed by the aperture holder.

I would use the ghost ring for squirrel hunting.

For moving shots with the 410 you should not be using the sights at all - you should be mounting the gun so that your eye is naturally aligned with the barrel and target. I found that finding the right point on the forend to hold the gun made it dead easy to shoot flushing birds as the gun would come naturally to my eye. I marked this point with a piece of tape that I could feel with my finger and my kill ratio went way up - into the 75% range with pheasants.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy
At one time I had a 10/22 with a set of the Zepher / Eagle peep sights. Rear sight is similar to a M1 carbine. Which I love. Front sight is the HK style ring with a post in it. Not crazy about that, but it did work good. Especially as my bifocals got stronger and stronger. Good luck
Wyo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!! What great answers!! Thank you very much. I will definite use your advice to check out a peep sight that can change aperature sizes or remove to have a ghost ring. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You would be doing yourself a favor to call t Williams Gun Sight and either ask what front and rear sights would be appropriate for your gun or get their catalog. They are super helpful and make high quality products. They have models that attach to a dovetail or that can be attached with screws. They have models for hunting and for target use. All have removable apertures and can be used as a ghost ring.

Most likely you will need a new front sight that is higher than what you have now. The Lyman 17A is very popular and might fit in the existing dovetail. I used Shaver inserts instead of the Lyman inserts. You will get a variety of post, aperture, and crosshair reticles that are very nicely made.

Good luck and send photos when you are done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.