Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes. First, mount the weaver base rail, then get a Williams sight that attaches to the weaver base. I think Brownells lists them.

P.S. They are used all the time on AR-15 type rifles. You will see thm mounted at the back of a flat-top upper. The AR guys call them BUIS (back-up iron sights).

regards,
Dan

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes. First, mount the weaver base rail, then get a Williams sight that attaches to the weaver base. I think Brownells lists them.

P.S. They are used all the time on AR-15 type rifles. You will see thm mounted at the back of a flat-top upper. The AR guys call them BUIS (back-up iron sights).

regards,
Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Williams told me that they do not make a peep sight that mounts on a weaver rail.

I am familiar with AR setups for BUIS. I cannot find a comparable 10/22 set up.

I wondered if anyone had jury rigged something.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I downloaded the Williams catalog from their website.

I want a weaver rail not a 3/8 dovetail because I want to switch optics between an AR and my new customized 10/22.

I talked with Power Custom and he indicated that my idea of using longer screws to secure both a receiver mounted peep sight and his weaver rail mount could work. PC said that the height of his rail would add .437 to the height of the peep sight.

Does anyone know how to calculate the required height of the front sight post to match this for a fifty yard zero?

Alternatively, I could grind off the back two slots on the PC rail to lower the peep sight or just cut off enough of the rail to permit installation of the peep directly on the receiver leaving the barrel screws and the two remaining receiver screws to secure the PC weaver mount. He suggest gluing the PC mount in with some "ectograph?" from Brownells. That would preclude ever taking the barrel off again without a big mess.

I tried to talk PC into making an integrated weaver rail and back up iron sight for the 10/22 - like many do for the AR - but he didn't think he would do it by next week.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If one uses the Weaver TO-9 or new Ruger rail both 7/8 and 3/8 rails are available. I like the idea of a peep sight that bolts right on in place of a scope. I set my irons to 25yd and the scope for 50yd.
I can calculate a correction for a known error, (sight radius divided by range in inches times POI error equals sight height adj), but before the fact the sight line has to be roughly parallel to the bore.

·
Registered
220 Posts
New England Custom Guns makes a peep sight that attaches to a Weaver base. They sell it as a backup sight in case your scope goes tango uniform. Expensive though - somewhere in the $75 neighborhood if I remember right. And, you're going to need a really, really tall front sight to make it work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt-man said:
New England Custom Guns makes a peep sight that attaches to a Weaver base. They sell it as a backup sight in case your scope goes tango uniform. Expensive though - somewhere in the $75 neighborhood if I remember right. And, you're going to need a really, really tall front sight to make it work.
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.