Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
I have a hard time seeing how effective that would be. Pee sights are set close to the eye so you can see through it. With the sight out on the barrel the peep diameter would have to be very large in order to see the front sight. I am not certian this is a good thing. Ther are other peep sights that mount on the reciever ustilizing the tapped hole for the scope base that would be more effective.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
This is getting into "ghost ring" territory. That is, a peep sight that is mounted away from your eye and has a larger hole. Great for fast target acquisition, horrible for small groups at longer ranges. If the targets are within 25 yards, this might work, but I think I'd prefer factory sights for accuracy.

· Registered
349 Posts
Well, I have shot Mausers, SKSs and AKs with similar set ups. (Williams and Mojo sights) While not a target peep, they do lend themselves to a little more accurate shooting. They do not turn rifles magically into target rifles, but they do improve the consistency of the front sight picture in the rear sight. As we know, consistency is a major key in accuracy. Go to another gun board such as thehighroad.org or thefiringline.com and do a search for Mojo sights in the rifle forums. You will see many positive experiences with such a simple looking sight.

I ordered one of these blades the other night, so when it comes in, I will give a range report on it. i don't think it will beat a good rear mounted peep setup for target shooting, but for plinking, hunting, I think it will be an improvement over the stock rear setup.

· Registered
855 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Booner, I just ordered and received the same sight blade. It is well made, and fits into the sight without any fuss. As far as the sight picture, I like it. It is useful for fast shots, probably less useful for for target work. More of a ghost ring type of sight picture. For the price I was very happy. It is a quality item, just a matter of if you like that type of sight picture or not.

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm trying to turn my 10/22 into a Mini-14 trainer (as economically as possible) and this seemed like a step in the right direction.

As long as the sight picture is halfway decent (and it sounds like it is) I think I might give it a try.

Machias, let me know how your first trip to the range goes.

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Aperture Sights for the 10/22

I have used the Williams WGRS Rear Aperture sight on my 10/22.

I used a Ruger Extra Tall front sight. I got it direct from Ruger.
Williams also makes a matching front sight with a bead (or Firesights).

Good Points for the Williams sights:

1. Easy to install
2. Easy to dial in elevation
3. Good selection of Aperture sizes.
(I have six.)

Bad Points for the Williams sights:

1. They are hard to adjust in the field. (tiny set screws)
2. They are easily bumped out of alighment in the field.
3. The front sight bead (or firesight) is large enough to
cover (hide) your target at 25 yards and longer ranges.

From my experience the Williams WGRS sight has a GOOD sight
picture. It's small (light weight) and unobtrusive on the reciever.
It's a noticable improvement over the Ruger Factory Sights.

After I said all that - I now use Tech SIGHTS. The sight picture is
BETTER than the Williams sight. Front and Rear sights mount very
securely to the gun. It's EASY to adjust Windage and Elevation in the
field.

They are larger and taller (front and rear) than the Williams sights.
As a result, when you line up your eye with the rear aperture, the butt
of the rifle is lower on your cheek, (instead of up on your ear.) It makes
for a comfortable stock postition on your face and shoulder.

The Tech SIGHTS duplicate an M-16/AR-15 (M-14) Sight picture.

Having tried both - I strongly recommend the Tech Sights over the WGRS.

Either way you go it's an improvement on the factory sights.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works for you.

Good shooting!

Thom T

· Registered
53 Posts
I only had time for a quick range trip after work. Of coarse, the only targets in the range bag were a couple paper plates. I was able to get the sight adjusted, center mass of plate. After that I spent the time trying to break clay pidgeon fragments on the 25 yard berm, with fairly good success. So, no groups to report, but I had fun plinking.

For the price I like the sight. For me, it's much better that the original.
Ultimately, I would like to purchase the Tec Sights, just can't spend the money right now.

· Registered
349 Posts
Ok, it came in the mail today. Here is the mini review. First off, it is a quality piece, nicely blued and about 1/3 thicker than the factory blade. The peep diameter is 1/8", which in using Brook's peeps on CZs I found to like best. Of course installation was dirt simple and didn't take long.

I painted the brass bead front with some day glo orange paint from Hobby Lobby. In lower light, or strong backlight this makes the front sight glow like a red dot. In bright light, you still get the silhouette of the bead, naturally, just like you normally would.

Here is a poor pic of the sight picture. I was trying to hold the rifle on the window sill with one hand and focus the camera with the other. Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

As mentioned, you can also get this sight, which has the Mini 14/ Deerfield Carbine type peep on it.

I prefer the blade that I ordered because it has a less rounded profile, and the peep is drilled closer to the top, therefore blocking less of the target. Also, if I had this sight I would drill the peep out larger. If it were closer to your eye, like on a Mini, you might get a better sight picture, but I think it would be too small except for punching paper maybe.

With both eyes open, this sight picture snaps into view very quickly. I think it is a HUGE improvement over the stock sights, and almost as good as a red dot sight. I didn't make it to the range today...stinkin' hot here, but I did pop off a few CCI CB Longs in the back yard. At 15 yards, my groups were much better with the CBs than with the stock sight blade.

If you are wanting to turn your 10/22 into a target rifle, this probably isn't the sight for you. If you want a fast, clear sight for hunting and/or plinking, I would say this is $ well spent. I am quite pleased with the sight, and wouldn't hesitate to order another one.
(sorry for the poor photos...someone has "adjusted" my macro settings on the camera)

· Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the pictures hans04!

Thom T, sir, when you set your Tech-Sights to zero at 25m, is your front sight either quite high or is the rear sight quite high?

In order for mine to zero the front sight is only about 3mm shorter than the height of the front sight blades. My eyes can get confused temporarily by this, and it also worries me about protecting the post itself. If I want to lower the sight in the front, I have to raise the rear so high that it can move in its slot.

Does yours do the same?

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Tech Sights post hight

Sideways Smiley,

Yes, (I think) my front post was quite high between the protective sides.

Frankly, I used a (very) narrow file and shortened my front sight a few
mil. (not precisely measured)

Now my 10/22 shoots point of aim = point of impact @ 25 yards.
Example: When I aim at the bottom of a 4" bull (at 25 yards) my
group is at the bottom of the bull (not up in the center).

When I flip up the aperture my group rises about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch
into the black. I have not fired at 75 and 100 yards to see where the
bullet strike is at that distance. My guess is - my strike would be back
to point of aim = point of impact at 75 yards (and slightly low at 100 yards.)

Thom T

· Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got mine yesterday. It even came with a little plastic American flag. My wife was trying to figure out why I bought a plastic American flag on eBay.

I attached it to the rifle, hopefully it won't take too long to sight in. I'll get a chance to try it out next week. Even the wife wants to use it. I compared the set-up to the M1 carbine, "You know, the little one they use in Band of Brothers." That did it. Of course, she's gonna have a hard time staying on target if she can't stop thinking about a bunch of strapping, 20-something paratroopers.

I bought one of these a few months ago:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/22080-1.html

The 10/22 with the peep and that target should be a hell of a time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.